5

But, with Klaus being the busy man he was, there were days where he couldn't always be with Darla. So, she usually ended up with her favourite uncle Elijah.

Darla adored Elijah. She saw him as what Rebekah liked to call her "back up daddy". Which meant that in cases where Klaus was no where to be found, she would automatically turn to Elijah as her parental force until he came back. And with Klaus being the "influential" man that he was, it happened more than he and Darla would have liked. But once again, that was what Elijah was for.

"Hello, there, miss Darla," Elijah grinned at the little girl in her crib. "Your Papa isn't here today, but you needn't worry. We're going to have a day of fun until he comes home. Uncle Elijah will take good care of you, won't he?"

And that he did, until Darla had accidentally clocked herself in the head with the wooden horse that was passed down to her from her father. Upon hearing her cries and the smell of blood, Elijah rushed over and picked her up immediately.

"Oh, Darling Darla," he cooed softly, letting a little chuckle escape. "You must be careful with your toys. Especially these old ones that your father insisted on giving to you. They're a thousand years old, literally."

So he carried her to the bathroom and bounced her up and down on his hip gently, looking at her wound. It wasn't much, just a little scratch, maybe  a tiny bit of bruising around the area, but it was still enough to cause her to bleed.

Elijah contemplated for a while on whether or not to give her some of his blood, slipping it into one of her bottles or something, but then he decided just to wait until her father came home to make that decision. After all, he wouldn't want to miss any of her growing up because of a dagger in the heart, thanks to his little brother. So, he came to the conclusion that the human way of healing would be the best way of healing for now.

"It's alright, Darla..." he murmured, gently placing a bandaid on her forehead, following with a kiss. "See? All better."

Darla looked up at him with her big eyes and sniffled, wimpering slightly. So to make her happy once again, he tickled her belly lightly and made a few funny faces at her getting her to squeal in delight. It was like she was never hurt in the first place.

So the pair went back to playing (without the newly found hazardous trinket) until Klaus bounded into the house, wanting nothing more than to spend some time with his daughter after a long day of supernatural politics. When he wasn't trying to take over the world, he was quite the family man.

"Ah, Elijah," he smiled. "How was our littlest Darla?"

Before Elijah could even open his mouth, Klaus had zoomed over to his daughter and picked her up, littering her face with kisses before stumbling upon the pink bandage.

"What's this?" He asked in a  confused tone.

"Darla here was having a little bit too much fun with her chess piece, and accidentally hit herself in the head with it." Elijah explained with a small chuckle.

"Is she in need of going to the hospital?" Klaus asked more urgently, clutching the baby to his chest protectively. "Is she in pain? Why didn't you give her some blood? Did it not take?"

"She's fine, brother. It's just a scratch. But no, I didn't give her any blood. I figured that was your call to make, not mine. Either way I'm sure she will survive without it."

Klaus sighed in relief and relaxed, happy that she wasn't suffering anything worse.

"Brother, if this is how you react to her having a scratch on the head, how are you going to react to her scraping a knee or breaking a bone?" Elijah asked teasingly.

"She won't." Klaus said sternly, but with a slight smile, beginning to walk up the stairs to his room. "Because I'll always be there to catch her before anything worse than this happens. And if I'm for some reason not there, she will surely be wrapped in bubble wrap to prevent anything bad from happening to my sweet baby girl. I'd rather take a white oak stake to the heart."

"Whatever you say, brother."