18

n// im going on a lil vacation today and idk when im gonna have wifi so im gonna leave you all with some updates!!! enjoy!!!

And surely enough, after she and her father got off of the phone, she sneakily put it in one of the kitchen drawers right as she heard her Aunt walking down the halls.

"Where did I put that blasted phone?!" She ranted, searching the room from inside of their potted plants to inside of the oven.

But then the phone rang, the sound coming from inside of the kitchen drawer, another place where Rebekah always tended to leave it. Knowing it was her father calling to inform his sister of his plans to bring her home, she had to work on keeping her heartbeat steady. But nevertheless, Rebekah found the phone and answered it, feeling a bit embarrassed that she checked the plants and the oven before a drawer.

"Hello?" She asked, looking over at her dear niece briefly. "Wait―"

But she was cut off by her brother, who promptly and immediately told her his plans for Darla's homecoming, all while the young girl pecked at an apple from a bowl of fruit, looking innocent.

"But what about― Yes, I know but― I understand that!" She said, placing a hand on her hip and turning away from her niece. "Of course I want us to go. I want that more than anything. But are you sure its safe? Be honest with yourself, and with me. ...Exactly what I thought. Goodbye."

She hung up the phone and placed it on the island table in their kitchen, then putting her head in her hands and taking multiple deep breaths.

"Who was that?" Darla asked timidly.

"No one." Rebekah sighed, running a hand through her beautiful waves and smiling softly. "After you're finished why don't you wash up and climb into bed. Tomorrow is a big day for you, my darling. You only get one sixteenth birthday, and you've got school too. I trust the fact that you got all your homework done?"

Darla felt her stomach drop to her feet, knowing that her father's plans of bringing her home had been bested. But she tried not to show her disappointment, sending a forced smile back.

"Yeah," she whispered, knowing her voice would immediately give it away. She stood up straight and tossed the apple in the bin, forcing herself not to rush up the stairs and into her room.

"Darla?"

Her aunt's voice made her stop in her tracks, trying to hold in her tears.

"I love you."

And for the first time in her life, Darla couldn't bring herself to say it back.

Rebekah watched as she continued up the stairs and smiled, knowing her plan had worked. Once she knew that Darla had locked herself in the safety of her bedroom, she rushed toward the phone and re-dialed her brother's number.

"It worked." She smiled.

"Excellent," Klaus said back, grinning wolfishly. "I can't wait to see her tomorrow, sister."

"And I can't wait to be a family again, Nik. A proper one. Just like we were before."

"It seems like just yesterday I found her in that alleyway... Now, sixteen years later she's coming home."

"Makes you wonder where all the time has gone..."

The pair were silent for a while, both recalling different memories of their little princess.

"Thank you, sister." Klaus said, pulling Rebekah out of her thoughts. "Thank you for everything you have done for her and this family."

"You're welcome, Nik," Rebekah smiled softly. "If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat."

"Kol is excited to meet her. He claims that he will be her favourite uncle by far, and that they shall be attached at the hip by the end of the week."

"Well that ought to be a fun surprise for her," Rebekah giggled. "Do you have any doubts of such?"

"No. That's the part that scares me."

They shared little laugh before continuing their conversation.

"What about Elijah? I presume that he is planning some big festivity in her honour?" Rebekah asked, thinking fondly of her big brother.

"Well, I suppose that is the custom these days. A sweet sixteen fit for a princess."

"You remember everything I told you about her, correct?"

"Of course. I would rather die than forget."

"I know, I know, but just to refresh your memory, her favorite colors are―"

"Her favorite colors are gold and green, her favorite food is pepperoni pizza, she hates fish, has a fear of clowns, and is quite fond of One Direction."

"...You seem to be all set then."

"Please, I've been awaiting her arrival for almost sixteen years. It will be nothing less than perfect."