19

And by the morning, Darla and her most important of belongings were packed in Rebekah's car, making their way back to New Orleans. You see, Klaus and Rebekah had a plan.

Rebekah knew all along that it was her little niece that had the phone, well aware of the heart-rendering conversation that the girl had with her father, having one with him a few hours before hand.

"Are you sure about this, Nik?" She asked nervously, biting on one of her perfectly manicured nails in anxiety.

"If I wasn't completely sure, she wouldn't be coming home, 'Bekah," he replied softly. "The time is right. There are no threats upon us here."

"There is always a threat upon us, brother."

"We're Originals, darling. Even if there were, we would vanquish them as we did our other enemies."

"That much is true, but need I remind you that a certain someone isn't?"

There was silence on the other end of the line, before Klaus' deep voice sent chills down his sister's spine with his words.

"No harm will come to her." He swore. "Anyone with even the slightest thought of hurting her will be struck down before they even have the chance of processing it."

Rebekah sighed and leaned against the counter tops, letting her eyes flutter shut for a moment before coming to a decision.

"Alright. We're coming home then. I guess I'll start packing―"

"Not yet." Klaus interrupted. "I want there to be an element of surprise."

"Oh really?"

"Yes. And this is exactly how it is to go down..."

And so Klaus explained his plan, telling Rebekah how she was to leave the phone unattended, and how after he and Darla got off of the phone she was to lead her and convince her that she wasn't coming home just in time for her sixteenth birthday. And, of course, she agreed to comply.

After executing it perfectly and letting her niece go to bed with pure and utter disappointment in her heart, she quickly and quietly packed a little bag for her, filled with her essentials. A few outfits, her computer, her iPod, headphones, hairbrush, some toiletries, and finally, the single Polaroid picture that Darla had of her and her father. They had mostly destroyed all evidence of her existence, but Rebekah couldn't destroy the last and only thing the girl had left of her old life. So she spared it and gave it to her, on the condition that no one ever see it except her. That, Darla did. She would be absolutely gutted if anything ever happened to that picture.

And after doing the same for herself, she carefully placed her niece inside of the car and began their voyage back home to New Orleans at around midnight.

It was a quiet drive, filled with thoughts of what was to come, reminiscing on the times that she and Darla had had whilst she was growing up. Her first day of school, teaching her how to ride a bike, even her first few weeks without her father, which were hell on the both of them before she finally settled in.

But now all of that was gone. She and her niece's time alone, living a mundane life as common people in some average city was over. They were going back to the place filled with witches, vampires, werewolves, hybrids, originals, and, oh, so many more. And Darla was going to be thrown right in the middle of all of it.

Rebekah would be lying if she said that a part of her (a rather big part of her) wasn't going to miss the life she had lived for the past sixteen years. She lived out her dreams of becoming a mother, raising Darla on her own, and living out the life she should have had a thousand years ago. A part of her was scared that when they got there, she would stop mattering to the young girl, seeing how close she and her father were all of those years ago ― and she was a baby! She almost didn't want to know what being reunited with her family felt like. Her baby was being taken away from her.

But, of course, she did it anyways. After all, she wasn't even Darla's parent. Niklaus was. And if he and Elijah have truly slain all of their enemies, then there was nothing stopping them from coming home. After all, it was his choice, and he had gone long enough without seeing her.
And even if there were, she had a family that would all take a white oak stake through the heart than see her in any distress.

Rebekah's thoughts continued as she drove further and further, eventually arriving in the city she and her brothers had built from the ground up. She smiled at all the passing buildings, and how the seemingly always exciting city was sleeping for once. It was almost like it was empty ― not a single soul in sight.

"Well," She smiled into the chilled morning air, the light of day fresh in the sky. "Looks like we're home, Darla."

And as they grew closer and closer to the familiar complex that was the Mikaelson Mansion, she felt tears spring to her eyes.

"It was an honour to be your mother all these years, but now I'm going to have to hand you off to Nik... I just hope he doesn't get you killed in the process."