Chapter 7

Annabeth's POV

I stood inside the doorway watching Tony Stark crash into everything. It was obvious he had something in mind about what he was doing. I rolled my eyes at the next crash.

"Need some help there?" I asked him.

Stark jumped like he'd been electrocuted. "What the--- Who are you?"

I raised an eyebrow but went up with my hand out. (No I wasn't going to judo flip him. That's reserved for Percy) "Annabeth Chase. Percy's girlfriend."

Tony's eyes widened comically. "Really? You're hotter than I thought you would be-- I mean... Uh... Your taller than I'd thought you'd be. Yeah, that's it."

I stared at him, holding back laughter. This guy was an idiot. "Do you want help?" I questioned, looking around. "Seems like you need more than I originally thought."

His eyebrows met before he located the sarcasm in my words. "Haha, Miss Chase. Haha. A girl with sarcasm, huh? Percy is a real lucky guy. Come on. I'll see what you can do."

Percy's POV

"So...."

"So...." Natasha mocked. "What the heck is that thing then, if not a dog?"

I smiled nervously. "Would you believe me if I said it was from Greek Mythology?"

"I'd believe you were trying to get out of telling me the truth."

I stared at her, curious. Should I even bother? "Well if you won't believe that, I don't know how any of my excuses are any better."

"Don't you mean 'other' excuses?"

"Not particularly, no."

Natasha and I had a small staring contest--battle of wills-- and I blinked first.

"Ha!" she exclaimed, "Now you have to tell me!"

"I have told you!" I told her helplessly. "You just didn't believe me!"

She rolled her eyes. "You mean the Greek Mythology excuse? That's the worst lie I've ever detected."

"Then you need to get your detector fixed because it wasn't a lie."

"Any proof?"

"More than I'd like to admit, but you are still Mist blind."

"'Mist Blind'?"

"You can't see anything for what it is yet," I explained patiently. "You're sight is still blocked."

Natasha kept looking at my incredulously, no doubt questioning my sanity.

I took a breath. "Really, I'm telling the truth. If I was actually decent at controlling the Mist, I could change that right now but with my luck, I'd add it permanently."

"You keep saying Mist," she said, "what, is Mist?"

I sighed, not wanting to go through the explanation, but knowing there was no way out of this. "The Mist is like this veil between my world and yours. It keeps mortals from seeing things they shouldn't."

"You say mortals like you aren't one." Natasha pointed out.

"Because I'm not. I'm a demigod. That's how Thor knows me. I'm the child of a Greek God and mortal women."

"How is that even possible? Don't gods have chicken heads or something?"

"Those are Egyptian gods. Totally different story. And it's possible because of something we like to call the Circle of Life."

"Spare me the details," she stared, her gaze looking down the sidewalk, almost defeated. She sighed. "I can face aliens. I can face the rogue Norse god or two, but a whole other world of gods who come to Earth?"

"Actually they live in the Empire State Building," I supplied helpfully, pretending I didn't know she was freaking out. "600th floor."

"600th floor," she said meekly. "Great."

I smiled sympathetically. "I was at just as much of a loss. How about we head back to the tower. It'd be easier for you to deal with."

"Does Annabeth know?" My aunt asked me.

"Know what?"

"About you being a demigod?"

"She's one too. I'll leave it to her to disclose all the complicated information."

"There's more?!"

"Sadly, yes." I looked at her, wondering if she would like what I was about to say. "You can't tell anyone about this. The Greek world was hidden away for a reason. No mortal should know."

"So you want me to keep the biggest secret of.... Forever to myself?"

"Yes."

Natasha sighed again. "Fine. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to know about this and get the headache. Now let's head back, Champ. Seems you have a story to tell."

Next chapter: Annabeth is introduced to all Avengers. And something else maybe. I don't knew.

Samigirl

Sami & Hannah