Chapter 9

3rd POV

As soon as Percy and Annabeth left the building, Tony's face grew a smirk.

"Come, kiddies," he said, bouncing with mirth, "I set up some cameras in the pool I sent them to." He moved his fingers in miniature jazz hands. "Maybe we will learn more about this mysterious Percy Jackson."

And then he skipped off.

The Avengers stared after him. Natasha was the first to snap into reality. "We should follow him. The last thing I want is to see random pictures of my nephew in the paper."

The group gathered in Tony's surveillance room. He was still pulling up the camera feed.

"They should be there in about ten minutes," he said, hands flying across the keys. "Once they arrive we will be able to hear everything they say and see everything but the bathrooms. I'm not that perverted."

"Sure," Natasha mumbled. She shook her head. "I wonder what they'll talk about." Of course, Natasha knew more than the others about Percy, but that didn't mean she actually knew him. She barely understood his recently revealed world. And she had never really seen him with friends. Or in this case, girlfriend.

After waiting about ten minutes, the pool gate opened, and in walked Percy and Annabeth. They were talking.

"You know, Percy, Jason expects you back at Camp soon. He's tired of training all the new recruits; dealing with questions."

Percy snorted. "Why do you call them 'recruits'?"

Annabeth smirked. "That's what they are to us!"

"And to the rest of the world they're delinquents. Seriously, Annabeth, the world believes us to be nuisances. I mean, S.H.I.E.L.D thinks I'm a terrorist for crying out loud!"

Annabeth burst into laughter. "Oh, if only they knew!"

Percy smiled at that too. He shook his head in amusement. "I swear, Fury is furious around me. I think he wants me dead."

Annabeth rolled her eyes, but there was a smile on her face. "Well if he knew..."

Percy didn't respond to her implied statement. Instead he said, "Tony said he rented out the whole pool. I didn't know you could do that, but it's Tony Stark. Might as well enjoy it."

Annabeth smiled again. "All right," she said, heading towards the bathrooms," I'll go change. And I don't care if water likes to stay away, you are too." Now Percy smiled.

"Of course."

As the two went to change, the Avengers discussed what they'd heard so far.

Steve asked, puzzled, "Delinquents? Why would he call them all that?"

"Maybe it's a military camp," Clint suggested. "Percy is definitely fit enough to attend one. And Fury did mention a few incidents. Maybe those landed him a spot."

"Maybe..," Steve replied, still doubtful.

"What did they mean by, 'If only they knew'?" Bruce asked. "They seemed to find it ironic Fury would think Percy is a terrorist. Why?"

The group thought. What could Percy have done to make it so laughable? This camera thing asked more questions then it answered.

Percy and Annabeth exited their respective changing rooms. The Avengers stopped talking to listen.

The couple walked to the side of the pool where Annabeth put a foot in.

"Holy crap!" she exclaimed. "That's freezing!"

Percy grew a devious smirk. She saw it.

"No Percy!" she warned him, fighting a laugh. "No! No–"

Percy had grabbed her and thrown her into the deep end. He was laughing hysterically when she popped back up.

"Oh my gods! Percy!"

He was still laughing, but he spared her a courteous glance. She narrowed her eyes.

"You jump in or so help me–"

Once again her threat was interrupted by Percy. He jumped in, taking care to splash her. The Avengers were laughing at their interactions.

When Percy entered the water, Annabeth jumped on top of him, pushing him under. He grabbed her arms and dragged her down too. They popped back up after a short time, laughing.

"Okay, I guess I need to thank Tony. It's so much more fun in a pool when you don't have people complaining or a lifeguard telling you not to run."

Percy's face had a twisted expression on it. "Well you can thank him if you want, but I'm not. As far as I'm concerned, he rented this place out to spy on us. I wouldn't put it past him."

They shared another laugh, but something in their demeanor had changed. Annabeth looked at Percy seriously.

"Perce, we can't avoid talking about this. It's important. It's happening."

Percy scowled. "Doesn't mean I need to like it."

"You think I like it anymore than you?!"

Percy shook his head. "I don't pretend you aren't affected. I know you are. But I wish you weren't."

"I wish I wasn't too, Percy. I don't want out world for anyone. I've been in it longer than you. But it has to happen sometimes. We can't change that."

Percy's face fell a little more. "I wish she didn't know about it."

"We all make mistakes, Percy. I don't necessarily like that you told her, but she had to know sometime." Annabeth seemed to clear her head of the thoughts. "Come on. Might as well enjoy this while we can."

The two went back to swimming and Tony turned off the monitor. He had a strange smile on his face.  Natasha had guessed they were talking about mythology. But Tony seemed to have another idea.

He suddenly smirked and exclaimed, "Percy! What a guy! I can't believe he did that!"

Steve creased his eyebrows. "What do you mean Tony?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Tony asked incredulously. "Annabeth is obviously pregnant."

Cue the outbreak of voices.

And cue the dreaded cliff hanger. Now, you all should know this isn't a romance. I think you all know Annabeth isn't really pregnant, and that Percy and Annabeth were talking about the threat from earlier.

This was a fun chapter to write. And thanks y'all for reading it.

Until next Friday update.

SamiRose18