Prologue; Scattered Dream Like A Far Off Memory

All around was black. The raven-haired girl pushed herself up wincing, having just fallen into the darkness. She stood and looked around cautiously. She took a step forward on the black ground that blended into everything. The ground seemed to burst as ravens peeled off the ground and flew away cawing and scratching. The girl threw up her arms hiding her face, closing her eyes. She felt the talons of the birds rush across her skin, blood trickling down her arms. The cries of the birds died out leaving silence. The girl opened her bright blue eyes and slowly lowered her arms. The floor now seemed to glow drawing her attention. She looked down and gasped. The floor was made of stained glass. Its image was that of a brown-haired boy holding a key. The background was an island. Little circles around the edges held images of other people, children.

"Sora?" The girl whispered. She stepped to the smaller circles.

"Kairi? Riku? Titus? Wakka? Selphie?" She whispered as she went to each circle. She knew these people.

The darkness calls to you. A voice said causing the glass to shake. The girl looked around confused. There was no one around. Who had spoken?

The doors are yet to open, the key is not found. The voice said.

"What are you talking about?!" The girl yelled out.

Choose wisely, guardian. The voice said almost mockingly.

"Choose what?" The girl asked. Around her three platforms appeared. One held a sword, another had a shield, the last a staff. The girl looked at each platform. She first walked to the shield. Beneath it was a small plaque.

The Guardian
Bravery to fight
Strength to defend
Lose of self

The girl frowned and walked away to the staff, a thin rod with black vine-like things wrapped around it. The plaque beneath it read:

The mage
Knowledge beyond measure
The power of choice
Disdain for the ignorant

The girl frowned again. Shaking her head she walked to the last platform. The blade resting upon it was a dark grey with a red and black hilt, a ruby placed at the end.

The warrior
Courage to protect
Skill to lead
No fear to contain the spirit

The girl nodded her frown vanishing. This was the one. She reached for the sword taking it into her grasp. It fit naturally in her palm. The blade was balanced and about the length of her arm.

For everything gained, something must be lost. The voice said suddenly. Choose what to sacrifice.

The girl looked behind her at the shield and staff. She chewed her bottom lip in thought. She slowly walked to the staff and picked it up. She twirled it in her hand once before it vanished. The girl stared at where the staff had once been shocked.

The courage of the warrior at the cost of the mage's knowledge. You are ready to continue. The voice said in a serious tone. The ground lurched underneath the girls' feet and flipped completely sending the girl falling into the darkness.

She landed hard on another floor. The girl pushed herself to her feet. This floor glowed like the last, drawing her attention once more. The image was of a silver-haired man in a black coat, his eyes almost closed. These little circles held images of other people in black coats. Two of the people had their hoods up.