Chapter XX; Not Really Heartless

Yuki sighed, looking out over Twilight Town. After another day of boring missions, she was up on top of the clock tower. She was alone at this point. The others must have actually had to work on difficult missions. Or they were lazing off and taking forever for no particular reason. Whichever it was, it didn't matter. Yuki liked the time of silence to think. Time to sort out the images that flashed through her mind whenever she closed her eyes. They had been becoming more vivid lately. More like memories than dreams. She still couldn't remember any important details that might give her clues to who she was. But she could remember small things. Like there was four of them, her and three others. The one boy had silver hair and bright green eyes. The girl was a redhead. And the other boy, memories of him never seemed to last. She would remember something only for it to slip away seconds later.

Hearing footsteps Yuki turned to look over her shoulder quickly. The sound had drawn her out of her thoughts, causing her to jump. Behind her stood Roxas, his head tilted to the side curiously. He had a goofy half smile on his face, that made Yuki fairly certain he had seen her jump. She pouted at him crossing her arms.

"I don't know why you're smiling, but you didn't see anything," Yuki said turning away from him. Roxas laughed and sat down beside her, leaving enough room for Xion when she arrived.

"Right, I totally didn't see you jump that high," Roxas said still smiling. "Why did you jump so bad anyway? Were you not expecting us?" He asked. Yuki pouted again.

"Not at that very second. I was thinking about something." Yuki explained. She hit her heels on the wall of the clock tower. Roxas nodded, leaning forward a bit to look at the ground. His blue eyes hardened like he was thinking about something important.

"A munny for your thoughts?" Yuki asked. She wasn't sure why she asked, or where that wording had come from. She had never heard anyone ask that sort of question. But it seemed natural for her to say it. Roxas looked up at her for a moment, shocked by her words.

"I dunno. Just thinking, about some of the stuff I see when I'm out on missions." Roxas answered. He was trying to smile it off but it wasn't working. Even without a heart, Yuki could tell he was faking it. It wasn't reaching his eyes.

"What do you see?" Yuki asked curiously. Roxas shrugged.

"A boy in red." He said. There was a pause between the two. Yuki was thinking about what he said. She couldn't remember what the people around her wore. Just hair and eyes. Roxas was just hoping Yuki didn't think he was crazy. "I bet you think I'm crazy now." He said. Yuki shook her head.

"No, I see stuff sometimes too. I just can't remember any details like that." Yuki explained. Roxas looked at her surprised. She smiled at him. Her eyes closed for the brief moment her smile lasted. "I guess us not having our memories really effects us." She said looking at the sunset. Roxas nodded and followed her gaze.

"Yeah, I guess it does." He said absentmindedly. He frowned again. Yuki glanced at him for a second. A thought suddenly crossed her mind. She didn't want to lose any more friends. Where the thought came from she had no idea. But it was important for her to act on it. Important that she prevented herself from losing the friends she had.

"Hey, Roxas," Yuki said. He looked at her but didn't say anything. "Promise no matter what we're going to stay friends." She said firmly. Roxas looked at her surprised but nodded, a smile spreading across his face.

"Yeah, of course." He said. Yuki nodded looking away from him again. Her mind whirled with thoughts. She really didn't want to lose any of those who met at the clock tower. It made her frown thinking that she still hadn't spoken to X since that mission to Wonderland.