Ch. 11~ Chase

Hello my lovely readers, I'm updating a day early because you deserve it. I hope you all are having a very happy new year!!

Last time... Lana didn't wake up where she last was, in fact, she didn't know where she was at all. Her mind is spinning and she thinks that whoever brought her here took her away from her friends and was working with the creatures.. or was a creature itself. Eventually Chase comes out from behind the tree and she thinks he is dangerous and he will hurt her. She jerks herself off the ground and holds her beloved crowbar in front of her lethally. He says he wont hurt her, but she yells at him to get away. After a while, she becomes too weak to fight him off anymore, but all he does is use his shirt to soak up the blood from her back. She realizes that he was the one who saved her from the creatures in the hallway and endured hours of being trapped in that room she saw for a split second, hiding from the monsters. She has a sudden spurt of sympathy and, ultimately, love at first sight. She passes out soon after. 

Chase

I didn't know if she was dead or not. All I knew was that she was the most perfect person I'd ever seen.

Unlike most of the girls I had ever liked, she had a soul. I didn't like her for her body, or the way that she flirted with every boy she met. I liked her- more than liked her- because she was perfect in every way possible. I had never seen her before this, but for some reason I feel like I already know her. I love the way I can see each and every one of her eyelashes, each one not quite the same color or radiance as the next. Even through her dying eyes, I could see her soul. It was pure. No flaws whatsoever. I didn't know the color of her eyes, it was too dark to see the color. I just prayed they would open again so maybe I could know.

The morning sun shone its rays through my eyelids, a pinkish light filtering through and waking me up. The air was cold and the shadows of the dying leaves on the trees were harsh in the morning sun. There was a moment when I was relaxed and fine and then all the tension and fear came rushing back to me. I opened my eyes with a flash and a sharp intake of breath.

I remember the girl again. I expect to see her resting peacefully in my lap, but all that is there is my shirtless tomach. Where is she?

I felt a pang.

Oh my God, where is she?

I jerked onto my feet and rushed around the tree. She was nowhere to be seen. The trees taunted me as they seemed to be more numerous than before, trying to be mistaken for the girl.

Where was she where was she where was she?

Maybe she had gone out to the street for something. I ran from the old willow and down through the tunnel of trees, fearing the worst; that she got eaten by those... things. The farther I went, the surer I was that she had been killed. Trees turned into bushes, and then into the shrubs that dotted the roadside. Both directions of the streets were empty except the wavering heat that rose from the concrete.

No, I was wrong.

A lone figure jogs up the street from my right. Its arms were carrying a load of something I couldn't make out due to the distortion of the heat waves. As the figure came closer, twirling brown hair and a black t-shirt were revealed.

It was the girl.

I rushed up the street to meet her, my feet tripping over each other every chance they got. It was actually pretty pathetic that I couldn't control my own feet. The heat on my back became more intense as the sun continued to rise. As I met the girl midway through the stretch of pavement, I saw that she was carrying a decent number of grocery and gift bags full of God-knows-what.

She was even more beautiful here than when I had seen her in the darkness. I couldn't even imagine what kind of guilt I'd feel if she died.

A sudden strike of anger slaps me across the face.