Ch. 17~ Chase

Hey guys! Holy crap I haven't updated in like 248549835 years. And it's not even Sunday, but I'm updating anyway! Yay! It has been a long couple months, but I'm back on Wattpad, my favorite place ever :D

Last time... Probaby one of the most exciting chapters in the entire book. A group of the kids (Lana, Leila, Mort, AJ, Chase, Hank) broke into the grocery store thinking there weren't any creatures, but it was practically infested with them. Mort and  Hank got hurt, but they are okay. They herded the creatures out of the grocery store using fire, their one weakness. Leila did a victory dance, because that's just Leila. They brought home more than enough food. At the end of the chapter, a sobbing girl shows up at the door and Sam comforts her. She is sputtering about her brother and how the creatures took him from her. She faints and Sam calls for a lockdown, fearing the worst about what she said... Creatures were coming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chase

The lockdown... I had to admit it was scary. At first I thought we were being attacked, but no one really had any weapons and no one yelled "creatures", so I had no idea what was going on until Andrew told me.

As soon as I knew what we were doing, I ran outside with Sam and Lee to enforce the barricades on the house. The creatures were no where close as far as I could tell so my panic level was relatively low.

Hunter and Quinn were actually excited about the lockdown because they got to use nerf guns with the bullets we made. I wasn't really expecting them to work, but I wasn't gonna tell them that just because I didn't feel like picking a fight. If the creatures attacked the house, they'd be in the back of the pack anyway.

Vicky, AJ, Mort, and Hank were still up in the extra bedroom. We didn't feel the need to drag the injured all the way downstairs because if the creatures did get inside, they'd be the first eaten.

All the littles and Lilly stayed downstairs with Mary, or Mother Mary as her name had become because she watches the littles every other day with Sam. Sam became Father Sam and Thomas became Father Thomas. Sam was the most permanent out of the three... He watches them almost every day with the alternating help of Mary or Thomas. Even with the never ending task of watching the littles, Sam never failed to be a jerk to me. It wasn't so up front that I had to say something, but it was more these background things that he did to make me mad. I expected him not to be up here during the lockdown. I thought he would watch the littles.

But Sam doesn't watch them during the lockdown... He stays in the kitchen with the new girl (who's name is Mella), Andrew, Quinn, and Hunter. Lana stays in the music room with Greg, Leila, Lindsay, Grace, and Lee, while I am in the living room with Ty, Owen, Bree, and Jennifer.

Owen and Bree were quiet as usual, but Jennifer seemed to get mad at me for breathing, not to mention she kept throwing orders at me like "stop moving away from the window!" Or, "stop looking over at the music room!"

I kind of ignored it, but she was annoying me like crazy, and I usually don't get annoyed at people.

And the second thing that annoyed me was the flirtatious conversation coming from the kitchen. First off we weren't even supposed to talk, and second, Sam was supposed to be "in charge" at the moment, and all he was doing was setting a bad example for Hunter and Quinn who continued to snicker in the corner. Out of boredom I tuned into their conversation and I heard Lana's name various times. I wasn't gonna say anything because I wasn't sure what they were actually talking about, but I knew they didn't like Lana, and the fact that they were probably talking about her like 12 year old boys talk about older girls sent my scalp crawling.

That was the third thing that annoyed me- for obvious reasons.

The fourth thing that annoyed me was Sam constantly walking over to the music room and talking to Lana the same way he was talking to Mella. There was no emotional response from Lana, which loosened some of the annoyance in my chest, but it still made me angry that he was taking advantage of her.