Ch. 32~ Chase

Hello lovely readers!

Tell me your thoughts on the last chapter?? (Besides that it was super long) Anyway, I guess you probably want to know what happens next. 

Last time: There is a lightheartedness in the house until the creatures invade and attack the kids. The littles are all presumed to be slaughtered as the older ones are taken to the creatures nest. They are taken into a cage when they get there and Lana takes AJ's pistol. The king reveals that he is going to change them all. Then he calls for Lana to be taken out of the cage and she finally realizes why the creature on the deck seemed to be after her... because she is his daughter. The king creature is her father. He readies to change her in front of them all when she pulls out the pistol in her pocket and shoots. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of a gun blares through the air. I stare up at where Lana kneels... a pistol shaking in her hand, tears in her eyes. The silence is thick as molasses. Lana what did you do? I think. The creatures are going to kill her!

I hear a metallic click from my right where Vicky is standing. I turn and see her unhooking a metal cylinder from her belt loop. I know instantly what it is.

The crowd bursts into a frenzy of angry roars as Lana goes sprinting for a back hallway with a door on it, a river of bald gray heads following her. The creatures on the outside of the cage shake the metal bars with their clawed hands, and a particularly angry one unlocks the cage and comes scrambling inside with hungry eyes. out of instinct we all push our way to the back of the cage. More and more creatures come flowing in, those twisted grins crawling over their faces. Vicky stands beside me, harshly trying to twist the bacteria producer open as we try to protect the younger kids like Jennifer, Greg, and Owen. The only weapon we have is the bacteria producer. We have to use it now.

"Vicky! Do it!" I holler over the deafening roars of the creatures.

"I can't! It's broken!" She continues twisting the cap as the creatures inside the cage start making lunges at us. I can tell they wanted to take their time with this. One takes a swipe at Leila and successfully scratches her cheek. Lee lashes out at the creature with a fist and misses by only a few inches. Another creature lunges and roars at Mary and Bree who recoil in fear. The creature laughs maliciously at their reaction. I make a sideways glance at Vicky who still can't get the bacteria producer open. A smaller creature has finally had enough and it runs into the herd of kids, trampling over Chloe and lumbering toward Sarah. She frantically tries to push her way back into the crowd, only to be met by cold metal bars. She is out of room.

"Vicky!"

"It's banged shut! I cant open it!" Just as she said it, another larger creature comes lurching toward Vicky, its mouth open wide, showing the yellow daggers in its mouth. I try to lunge for it and stop it from getting her, but it ends in Vicky, the Creature, and I in a twisted pile on the tile floor. There are screams from the other side of the cage where Sarah is.

We are out of time.

Vicky screams as the creature roars in her face. She scrambles out from under the creature while I hold it down. Before she can get away, a clawed hand grabs her foot and she and the bacteria producer go sprawling out onto the floor.

That's when it breaks, like an earth shattering bang, like the world erupting all at once. It is silent again. We watch as the glowing blue substance billows from the canister. It snakes over to the creature underneath me and invades its nostrils.

We've won. It's all over! I can hardly believe it! We're all going to make it through this! We all have a future now, we all can live out our lives as long as we were supposed to...

There is no reaction.

Those evil eyes stay the same.

The creature laughs a horrible, savoring laugh. The corridor bursts into victorious roars and the creatures in the cage stop their stalling. They go rushing at us. The creature beneath me switches me underneath itself and pins me with a painful thwack of skull on tile floor. The world spins around me as the blue and purple dust flows over my eyesight and blinds me from the creature. The bacteria circles around the cage like ink in water. I can feel the vibrations of a growl rattling in the creature's throat ontop of me. Its face grows closer to mine and its eyes, nose, and mouth peek through the dust. Those piercing red eyes cut right into mine and its growl grows intensely. I squeeze my eyes shut and wait for pain... But it never comes. I open my eyes.

A smile grows on my face. Not because I'm not dead, but because of what I see in front of me...

A creature's soul freezing eyes warping from red to green.