Ch. 23~ Chase

Hey guys!! If you are liking my story, make sure to comment all over the place!! And if you hate it (Idk why you would read this far if you did but anyway,) make sure you comment all over the place too! At this point, all of this writing is almost a year old and a lot of it needs more editing, so comment where you think I should change something, or when you really like something, or when there is a plot twist you just weren't expecting and you are freaking out inside. I want to know how you feel about all of it! 

Just don't hate too hard please, my freshman/sophomore self will cry. 

Anyway, Chase chapter today!

Last time: The absolute biggest chapter in the book so far, and filled with some crazy plot-junk. So..... LANA AND CHASE KISSED!! WHOOP WHOOP!!! Not too long after though, Sam leads Lana into thinking that he's the right choice for her and she decides to back off with Chase. Sam promises that she is the only one, Mella doesn't matter to him like that. Later, Lana goes to the lab and they think they found the reason people are changing... The bacteria infects the nucleus of the host, specifically the DNA inside the chromosomes. It latches onto a loyalty gene and feeds on that to reproduce and make more, ultimately making a creature. Kids don't get infected because the gene hasn't grown yet. There's also radioactive elements in the bacteria, making the kids mutate when they touch it. Lana goes back to the house and goes to find Sam. She finds him making out with Mella on the edge of the extra bed. She is, predictably, beyond angry and shuts Sam out for the remainder of the chapter. The next day, Chase and Lana are hitting it off pretty well again when they hear a scream from the basement. Mella comes up and yells for help. They go down to find that Timmy had been poisoned. They try to stop his seizure but he suddenly goes stiff and his irises turn a haunting shade of red. He dies right there and then. Chase is devastated, Timmy being his favorite little and he blames himself for his death. A meeting is called and Lana cheers Chase up and convinces him to go to the gathering. AJ takes the lead and threatens to whomever the murderer is that they don't have much time to finish their work. Lana recalls that Owen got sick a few days before and was still in the extra bedroom. She goes up and questions him, not before she hears another scream from the master bedroom. She sprints over to find Mella standing over Lilly's dead body, holding a green syringe. Ty is in shock. The rest of the kids come in and Mort yells to get her. Suddenly Mella reaches out and grabs Lana from where she stands and holds a knife to her throat. She asks who wants to be the first adolescent creature. No one says anything and she goes to plunge the needle into Lana's neck. Chase yells out in time to stop her and takes it instead. Just as she's about to inject the bacteria, he throws her over his shoulder and pins her to the ground. He gets the bacteria from her hands and they kick her out of HQ. It feels like a new beginning. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chase

"She was getting those formulas from someone," Vicky says with plenty stress in her voice.

"Why was she doing it in the first place?" Lana asks.

"Based on what happened to Timmy, she was trying to make a formula that can change everyone... Even us."

"Even... Herself?" Leila asks.

"She made a deal with their king so she thought she was being smart. She was stupid. They can't be trusted... They're animals."

"She thought it wouldn't affect her...?" Mort asks.

"Like I said, she was stupid. She thought she was safe."

"So wait, if the bacteria makes adults and not kids change, then why didn't Dr. Watt change?" Chloe questions.

"Different loyalty rates I guess. Brendon- Lana's brother- didn't change either, and he's 22. There mustn't have been anything for the bacteria to latch onto in the DNA... But that's beside the point. Mella was getting the formulas from someone, because she didn't make them herself."