Are They?

He gave me that familiar smile that I had fallen in love with all of those years ago as he nodded his head. This time instead of making me want to smile and swoon in return it only made the anger I had thought I had buried so many years ago burn through my veins. “What the hell are you doing here?” I demanded. His smile disappeared as he held up his hands.

“Lynn, I though you would be happy to see me?” he asked with a frown as he shook his head.

“Happy?”

“Well yes.” He said. I scoffed and shook my head in disbelief. He was so shallow! Why in the hell would I be happy to see him when he had disappeared in the middle of the night without a goodbye, a kiss, an explanation nothing! Not even in a note. Just poof. Gone in thin air. I began throwing my things in my bag, very, very ready to leave. He grabbed my wrist to stop me and I jerked away from him.

“Don’t touch me.” I growled shaking my head throwing him a glare.

“Lynn just talk to me.”

“Stop calling me that!”

“Please.” He pleaded quietly; there was an aching, shining sadness in his eyes that was familiar because it was something I had seen in my eyes so many years ago. I shook my head again, biting my tongue hard enough that I tasted blood. I wanted to scream at this man and demand answers from him, but what good would that do? It would change nothing. It would erase nothing and it wasn’t as though I wanted it to. I was happy, I was mated, I had children, and most importantly I loved Zaden.

“About what?” I growled.

“Why are you so angry?”

“Angry? That doesn’t even begin to cover how I feel. I am furious, raging!” I snapped.

“Why?”

“I wonder Elias? Why would I be angry? Hm… Oh maybe because I go to sleep in your arms after hours of you telling me how much you loved me and wanted to be with me for the rest of our lives only to wake with an empty bed an no sign of Elias anywhere. And that was-“I paused looking down the watch on my wrist just to be a smart ass and feigned shock. “Almost three and a half years ago! Gee… Now why would I possibly be angry?” His face softened and the ache in his eyes intensified. The pale blue eyes were now swirling with black and I stared at him. He was leaner, smaller than he had been before, but he was still enough that someone could tell he was not someone to mess with. As I stared at him I couldn’t find any of the feelings within myself that I had once felt for the person sitting before me. After everything he had put me through I truly had moved on, I didn’t need him as much as I had once thought I would.

“That’s not fair Lynn.” He mumbled shaking his head.

“You know Elias. I don’t particularly care what’s fair for you all right!” I snapped as I zipped my bag up tearing my gaze from him.

“Mommy!” I heard my little girl cry from the top of the climbing wall and she had my immediate attention as I shot from the bench. Running over I found Sabian on the ground clutching at his wrist with his face scrunched tightly and red enough I could tell he was in pain.

“Sabian!” I demanded as I dropped beside him. He didn’t look at me just continued clutching his wrists and I looked around me till I spotted Aidan and Annalee staring down at me from the top of the gym. “What happened?”

“He…. He jumped Aunty I swear it.”

“It’s okay Aidan. It’s not your fault baby. Come down here the both of you.” I said before turning back to Sabian. “Sabian baby. Look at mommy.” I cooed gently, and his eyes opened I could see the tears there that he was fighting, even young he was as stubborn as his father. “Tell mommy what happened baby?”

“I jumped. It didn’t look so high mommy. It popped when I caught me. It hurts mommy.” He cried.

“Let me see.” I said gently as I reached for him. He held it out and I examined the tiny swelling wrist. I was careful not to put pressure on it immediately but felt it gently, there was nothing broken. So more than likely it was just a sprain, something I could handle. I had an ice pack and a wrap at home. “Come here baby.” I said reaching for him, letting him curl into my chest as I held him much as he had this morning. Pushing to my feet I returned to go back to the bench to find a stunned Elias staring at me with wide eyes. I had forgotten he was here. Dammit. I didn’t move. Instead just stood there returning his stare with a raised brow.

“Mommy?” he asked, I only nodded and shifted Sabian closer.

“Annalee, Aidan, go get in the car. We are going home.”

“Ok mommy.” Annalee said from behind me and I watched as she trudged her way to the car. She and Sabian had always been close, being twins they had a connection none of us could understand. I had no doubt she felt whatever pain he was in.

“Are they mine?” he demanded suddenly and I looked back to him wide eyed. God that was something I had never expected from him. I had never expected him to think they were his. I mean they were practically spitting images of their father.

“No. They aren’t yours Elias.” I said shaking my head as I brushed past him to the bench to grab my bag. Sabian was abnormally still and quiet against me, telling me just how much pain he was in, my poor baby. I felt Elias’ hand wrap around my upper arm and jerk me to look at him. Sabian gasped and I growled at Elias who growled back.

“I don’t believe you.”

“I don’t give a shit what you believe. Don’t ever touch me again. Stay away from me Elias. I mean it. I want nothing to do with you.” I stormed off angrier than I had been the moment he had arrived.