Back To The Base

When I woke the next morning Z wasn’t in the bed with me. Frowning, I sat up and looked to the bathroom door which was open and the light was off. Sliding out of bed I wrapped my robe around me and began wondering through the eerily quiet home looking for my mate. I wasn’t used to my home ever being this quiet. With the twins there was always laughing, playing, rough housing, some kind of noise to let us know just what they were up to. I didn’t like this at all. Coming down the stairs I heard Z in the kitchen and when the smell of cooking food hit me my stomach roared in demand. Smiling I rubbed my belly that had already began to swell even if only a little. I was never really a breakfast person, so it had to be the little one demanding that I eat and soon.

Z looked to me the moment I stepped through the doorway and gave me a small sad smile. Moving to his side I kissed his chest when he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into him. “It’s too quiet here.” He murmured.

“I know. I don’t like it either.”

“How’s your wrist?” he asked as he stirred around whatever it was he was cooking. I saw eggs with what looked like peppers, mushrooms, sausage, and bacon. As amazing as it looked, the smell of it made my stomach churn nauseously. I groaned and buried my face in Z’s neck. I heard him chuckle and glared at him.

“This is your fault.”

“You could have said no.” he said shrugging.

“Yeah that was happening. After how long I’d already gone?” I shook my head and felt him tense beside me. I sighed but didn’t say anything. It was something he would have to work out himself. “And to answer you. My wrist is fine.”

“Good. Keep it wrapped still. At least for today baby.”

I groaned but agreed not wanting to push him today there was just too much going on. “What time is it?”

“Quarter after ten. We have enough time to eat and get ready. Then we have to leave.”

I nodded moving away from him to the table, my stomach beginning to twist and knot in worry. I knew what the results were going to be, they were Zadens twins, I was just worried about little blips in the road that would make this process longer than it needed to be.

Breakfast was quiet and so was the entire time we spent getting showered and dressed. Neither of us spoke just lost in our worlds and thoughts. I wasn’t sure what exactly it was going through his mind but I knew I was focusing simply on whether or not I would actually be able to go through with this. I wasn’t sure I would be able to go and see the twins and then leave them in that place? It wasn’t as though I would have much of a choice though was it? If I wanted to see them at all this is what I had to do.

Z’s hand found mine and squeezed gently. “It’s going to be all right.” He said finally, his voice low enough that I almost didn’t hear him.

“I know it is. I’m just worried.”

“What about?” he asked with a frown in my direction.

“About Annalee and Sabian. They have never been away with strangers. The only people to take them and keep them were people they have known their entire lives. They don’t know any of these people Zaden.” I said my voice tight with tears that threatened to break free once more.

“If there was anything I could do baby, to end all of this and get them back to us I would.”

“I know you would Z. I don’t blame you for any of this. If anything it’s my fault.”

“This isn’t your fault Jacqlynn. It could never be your fault. Elias is the one that went to the Council. He is the one who caused this.” I sighed but nodded not wanting to argue with him.

Vane was waiting at the front doors of the Base. He was dressed very casually in a pair of dark denim jeans and black turtle neck that clung to his lean figure and made it clear that even with as thin as he was he was still muscle. His thick blonde hair was pulled away from his face and that piercing icy glaze landed on me as we approached. Looking at his wrist he raised a brow. “Right on time.” He said as if impressed. “Any idea where the other is?”

“Elias isn’t here yet?” I asked frowning and Vane shook his head. I looked to Z whose jaw was set tight and was going hard at the ground beneath him. “What happens if he doesn’t show up?”

“Well it’s going to delay things, seeing as we would have to reschedule the blood tests.” I felt my heart drop at his words. Reschedule? Delay? It would take longer than a week to get Annalee and Sabian back?

“I’m going to kill him.” Z snarled under his breath and I wrapped my arms around myself with a deep sigh. Since Elias had come back he had done nothing but cause more problems than he was worth. I heard Vane let out a little chuckle and knew he had heard  Z.

“We will give him fifteen more minutes. I’m afraid I can’t allow any more of a delay than that.”

“Should we call Victor?” I asked looking back to Z.

He shook his head. “He is already in trouble with his mate. We don’t want him in any more. “I nodded my agreement but felt my gut tighten and knot in worry. What if Elias didn’t show up? What if we couldn’t get him back here at all for the blood test?

“Have you already taken the twins blood?” I asked with a frown. He nodded.

“Last night while they slept. They didn’t feel a thing.” He said shaking his head.

“So couldn’t you just compare their blood to Z’s. Wouldn’t that be enough to confirm they are his?”

“Trying to shut me out already Lynn?” spoke the devil himself from behind me. I whirled around to find him in standing only a couple of inches away from me. Z snarled and jerked me into him away from Elias immediately.

“You’re late.” Vane growled to Elias who didn’t take his eyes off of me.

“That would be my fault Master. My mate was a little upset this morning and I had to take care of her before I left.” Victor explained as he appeared as well. Vane only nodded and turned back to Zaden and me.

“Leon will take you and Elias to the lab. Victor, Jacqlynn, I will take you to young Annalee and Sabian.”

With the excitement and nervousness bubbling around in my stomach I couldn’t bring myself to truly pay attention to any of the details surrounding me as Victor and Vane led me through a puzzle of hallways to the room where I would be able to see Annalee and Sabian. I did, however, notice the way the men that worked in the building seemed to look at me. Like I was a piece of meat that they couldn’t wait to sink their teeth into and I suddenly understood Vane’s earlier concern for my safety. So I stuck close to the two men, silently hoping that neither one of them noticed it, because something told me that Victor would never react well to someone eyeing me in such a manor, and the last thing I need was to watch two grown men going at it full force. I had enough testosterone overloads in the last 48 hours. I could do without it for the next couple of centuries.

I suddenly found myself slamming into a hard surface and stumbled back just before someone caught me. I came to find it had been Victor who had stopped suddenly in front of me. He caught my arm and kept me from landing right on my butt.

“Careful Jacqlynn.” I only smiled and gave him a slight nod before looking to Vane who looked quite amused.

“Are we here?”

He nodded, “The little ones are right through that door.” He said motioning to the door behind him.

“Aren’t you two coming in with me?”

“I need to have a talk with your Alpha here for a moment. You go on inside. I’m sure they are anxious to see you.” He didn’t have to say another word before I raced into the room without a second glance.