He Thinks They Are

I carried Sabian inside, the other two hot on my heel as I sat him on the couch and disappeared into the bathroom grabbing the medical kit. When I came back Aidan was sitting on the edge of the couch while Annalee set in front of her brother talking to him gently, low enough that I couldn’t hear.

“Move for mommy.” I said coming up behind her. She scooted over but didn’t move from my side the entire time it took to wrap tight enough that his wrist would be able to heal within the next couple of hours. I saw a couple of tears slide down his cheek but he remained silent the entire time, not uttering a single sound. Finally I pinned the wrap down and leaned forward so I could press my lips to his forehead. “There you go baby. All better. Now you three go play in your rooms okay?” I said. They all three nodded and took off up the stairs, Sabian calling thanks before he reached the top. I sighed and wrapped my arms around myself. Reliving the encounter in the park, I sighed. Elias thought the twins were his? I mean I guess I could understand where he would think that but it still rattled me. I hated to think of just what he thought this would mean. That he would have a chance and I would still feel something for him.

Reaching into my pocket I grabbed my phone and out of instinct dialed Zaden’s. I just needed to hear his voice and know it would all be all right.

“Hey baby, what’s up?” Zaden asked and I could hear the hint of worry in his voice. I rarely called him while he was at work.

I opened my mouth ready to tell him everything that had happened, but I found myself saying “Nothing, I just… I needed to talk to you for a minute.”

“What’s wrong Jacqlynn?”

“Nothing baby. I’ll see you when you get home. I love you Zaden, I truly do.” I said quickly as I hung up the phone before he had the chance to question me any farther. I knew he would know something was really wrong and I would have to answer for it later but I would face it then, because I would rather tell him this to his face rather than over the phone because I needed the feel of his arms around me.

As night fell I had all three of the kids fed, bathed, in their pajamas and into bed by the time the men came striding through the door laughing deeply at something one of them had said. Aidan was curled up on the little pallet he had made on the floor in front of the television and silent cartoons still flickered as I sat up on the couch finally finishing the paperwork I had been distracted from earlier. They both quieted as they caught sight of the sleeping form on the floor and I smiled to Trev who waved. Trev was a good man. He and Zaden had been raised practically as brothers and were night and day. Trev was a golden blonde pale man, with glowing baby blue eyes he had passed on to his son, and it was about the only he had passed on. Aidan looked very much like his mother. He had her sun kissed brunette hair that curled naturally and her tiny frame. He was to be no Alpha that was for sure, but it didn’t stop Trev from loving him as it would most. Trev hadn’t been mated to Aidan’s mother, and in fact still wasn’t mated, so in all honesty I was the only mother Aidan had ever had.

“Hello Jacqie.” Trev said as he pressed a kiss to my cheek, I heard Zaden grumble and I chuckled shaking my head. Even with his best friend who he knew would never try anything he was possessive.

“Hello Trev,”

“How was he?”

“An angel as always.” I said and Trev smiled as he scooped up his son cradling him to him. “I’m more than happy to take him more often. All you have to do is say the word.”

“I know. I know Jacqie.” He said with a sigh as he looked to Zaden who was staring at me intently and questioningly. I was still shaken from earlier. I had a bad feeling about this, about all of it and I’m sure he could sense that. “Well I had better be going. I’ll see you tomorrow Z.” he said before disappearing and leaving me alone staring up at my mate.

“You want to explain what earlier was about?” he grumbled crossing his arms over his chest. I sighed but didn’t say a word as I drug my eyes from his to stare at the pale carpet of our living room. I didn’t quite know how to begin. “Jacqlynn?” he said quietly and I heard him come closer, as soon as he was close enough I grabbed his wrist and tugged him down onto the couch beside me so I was able to crawl into his lap and curl into his chest as his arms wrapped around me.

“I took the kids to the park today.” I said.

“Oh yeah? I didn’t know the park was such an upsetting place.” He teased with a chuckle that had me chuckling to as I slapped his chest gently.

“I… Elias showed up.” I muttered quietly after a stretch of silence. I knew he heard me through because he immediately tensed beneath me and a growl came from deep in his chest. Oh he knew all about Elias, he had to deal with the repercussions of him, of me always being afraid Zaden was just going to up and leave me just as he had. After all it was  Zaden who had picked up the pieces.

“And?”

“And we argued. I told him that I was furious with him. Then…. Sabian got hurt-“he cut me off.

“Is he all right?”

“Sabian’s fine baby. You know I would have told you if he wasn’t.” I said looking up to him with a frown. Did he think that I wouldn’t tell him if his own son was all right just because this man had come back into my life unwanted?

“I know you would have I was just asking baby. I didn’t know what had happened.”

“He jumped off of the gym. He had a sprain in his wrist but he is fine now. No pain at all after I wrapped if for a couple of hours.”

“My little nurse.” He teased as he leaned in to nip my neck and press kisses along my skin, I groaned and leaned into him knowing I had to tell him the rest.

“Elias thinks the twins are his.”