The Visit

Sabian and Annalee were sitting in the middle of the room that was filled with toys for children of all ages scattered across the floor and filling a few toy boxes placed towards the back. Annalee sat in a pair of light jeans and black long sleeved shirt different from the clothes she had been wearing when she had left home and Sabian had on the same thing. Doing a quick survey neither of them seemed to be injured or upset in any kind of way. In fact, they both just looked ecstatic to see me as they both pushed to their feet and ran towards me. Annalees thick midnight curls had been brushed out and left down to flow clear past her shoulders which I had no doubt was driving her insane. She hated to wear her hair down, and Sabians short hair was still spiking in all directions as I leaned down and scooped them both into my arms when they got close enough. Burying my face into their shoulders as they clung to me I inhaled the deep minty vanilla scent of them and felt tears rush forward.

“Oh god babies. You have no idea how happy mommy is to see you.” I cried pulling back to examine them more closely. “Are you all right?”

“We’re fine mommy. Everyone here has been real nice.” Sabian assured as he gently reached out to stroke away a single tear. “Why you cry?”

“Mommy has just missed you that’s all baby.”

“Where is Daddy?” Annalee asked peering behind me as if he was simply hiding and I felt my heart constrict in my chest? How was I supposed to explain the situation to them? They were only babies, they would never understand why they wouldn’t be allowed to see their parents.

“He-He had to go on a trip.”

“Without saying goodbye?” she asked as she frowned deeply, and I took another deep breath praying for strength.

“It was an emergency. You know how busy daddy is baby.” I said as I brushed her hair out of her face gently. She nodded but I could see by the way her eyes darkened that she was upset by the news. “And-And when mommy leaves here. I have to go and help him. So mommy and daddy will be away for a few days. Do you understand?” They both nodded solemnly. “Good. Now what were you two playing when mommy got here?” I asked trying to brighten their moods.

“Blocks!” they exclaimed in unison.

“Blocks? Really? Let’s see what you were building.” I said pushing myself to my feet and letting them lead me to where they had been sitting.

I wasn’t sure how long I had been sitting there when Victor strode into the room, giving me an apologetic look that I knew meant it was time for me to go. I felt my heart clench again as tears threatened once more to spill over. I looked back to the little ones in front of me who had still been building various items with the blocks we had been playing with since I had arrived. This felt like it had been not too long ago. They both looked from Victor back to me as understanding seemed to register on their face. I let out a deep sigh and closed my eyes for a second to gather myself.

“I have to go now little ones.” I murmured finally meeting their eyes. “And I’ll be back as soon as I can all right?” Much to my surprised it was Annalee who flung herself at me, not Sabian.

“Don’t leave us mommy.” She cried her little arms clinging to my neck tightly. My throat constricted making it hard to breathe immediately as I hugged her back, but swallowing hard I found my words.

“I promise you baby. Mommy will be back as soon as she can but I have to go get daddy ok?” I managed to croak. She sniffled against my shoulder as I felt dampness there.

“Don’t go mommy. I’m scared.”

“Scared of what baby?”

“The bad dreams!” she cried and my heart shattered. I couldn’t do this! It just wasn’t fair! How could they just take them from me like this when they were too young to even understand!

“You have nothing to be afraid of baby. I promise.” I said as I gently pulled her away from me forcing her to look to my eyes. “Nothing at all. Sabian will protect you. He always has, hasn’t he?”

He bottom lip quivered as she nodded and more tears broke free. “But he not around mommy!”

“They separated you?” I demanded looking to Sabian, he nodded and I saw a glare of fresh tear tracks on his face as well. I cursed roughly and shook my head. This would not do. Not at all. “Don’t worry baby. I will fix it okay? Mommy will fix it.” I promised as I hugged her tightly once more and kissed her forehead. Then moved to Sabian, pulling him tight into my arms leaning into his ear. “Be strong for mommy and watch Annalee ok?” I asked as I moved to meet his eyes and again he only nodded. Pressing my lips to his forehead I drew away from the both of them. “I love you both. So much. I promise I will be back as soon as I can.” I said and stormed off both before I couldn’t bring myself to leave and was forced away. I was half way down the hall way when Victor caught up to me finally.

“Jacqlynn.” He said catching my arm but I tore away from him.

“Don’t touch me!” I snarled. “Show me to where Zaden and Vane are.” I was holding onto my anger at the having separated the twins. It was the only thing that had gotten me out of that room and walking in the direction that Victor was now leading me.

I found myself in the large entry way that I had first met Vane in just hours ago and found him standing in front of Zaden the two of them chatting as if there were nothing happening. I strode forward not stopping until I was directly in front of him. A loud crack sounded through the room as it became eerily silent and everyone had frozen at the sight of my hand going across Vanes face but at this point I didn’t care.

Zaden quickly grabbed me and jerked me away just as the sobs that had been tightening my chest broke free. “You separated them! You son of a bitch! You take them from us and then you separate them!” I cried feeling everyone’s eyes locked on me. Vanes eyes widened as understanding seemed to fall onto him.

“Jacqlynn.” Z warned under his breath.

“Little mother I assure you. I had no knowledge of this.” His voice was level and calm and held no sign of anger anywhere. Neither did his posture or his eyes.

“Don’t fucking lie to me!”

“I wouldn’t. Not about a matter such as this. I promise you. I had no idea they were placed in separate rooms. But I promise you it will be taken care of most immediately.” He said as he reached out to cup my face gently and I crumpled to the floor at the comforting touch. Burying my face in my hands I let out another harsh sob. I couldn’t do this! I couldn’t take it! It was just too much at once!

“Baby.” I heard Z murmur as he crouched with me but I tore away shaking my head. Any more comfort would only destroy me even more.

“I can’t.” I muttered before shifting forms and taking off for the front doors.