Family Time

The twins talked continuously as we drove, telling up about ‘Nanny Crissy’ which was apparently the full time nanny for the Council because from the stories they told of games they plated and the different foods they had made spoke of someone with experience of childcare. I was thankful that they had been well cared for. The entire time all I had done was worry about them and how they were doing while they were having almost the trip of their lives. They even told stories of games that Cane had come to play with them and how after I left he had moved them to his room on Base so that they were no longer separated which only farther softened my heart towards him. He was going to make a fine mate to Annalee one day, in the far, far future.

To my surprise, however, I noticed that Zaden wasn’t driving in the direction of home. Instead he was driving toward the clearing.

“Where are we going? I thought you told Vic to wait until tomorrow to call everyone together?”

“I did and he is.”

“Then-“I trailed off leaving him to answer my original question.

“We are going to take the twins running.” He said with a smile. The twins had seen us both in wolf form since they had begun to crawl so they were used to it and had always loved to play chase with us.  There had even been a few occasions where pack meetings had run late and they had simply curled into my side to sleep against my fur. This time though I wondered if it was more for him than for them. I knew his wolf would still be prowling under his skin anxiously from the Elias news. I really couldn’t blame him so I wouldn’t bother to ask.

Looking back I saw the twins bouncing around in their car seats as if they too knew where we were going.

“Do you feel up to running baby?

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I?”

“I was making sure. You aren’t tired or anything?”

Chuckling I shook my head. “We just spent days locked in the house. I’m fine. I promise.” He only as he parked within the tree line so no passing cars would see it.

“We going running daddy?” Annalee exclaimed and Zaden chuckled now looking to her.

“Yup. Once we get on your coats.” He said and they both squealed and began talking over one another. I felt a wave of relief and joy wash over me. As of tomorrow this would all be over, we all knew how it would end but at least it would end.

Z pulled their jackets from their bag between they seat and quickly had both unfastened and zipped up do we could all make our way deeper into the trees to the trail that would lead us to the clearing. AS we did the two took off running through the thick grass giggling along the way. Smiling Z pulled me close to kiss me gently before stepping back to let himself shift and take off after them throwing them into another fit of giggles and squeals. As I stood watching my mate run and play with our children I knew all would be right in the world again as long as I had those three and our newest, growing, member.

“Mommy!” Sabian cried as Z gently nudged his leg from behind instead of nipping like most wolves did when they played. Shifting myself I took off to catch up with them and crouched to let him climb onto my back much as Annalee was riding Z and he let out a low growl.

Careful

Z I know what I’m doing. Don’t worry so much.  I said as I took off in the opposite direction.

Almost an hour later I laid beside Zaden who had his head laying across mine as we watched Sabian push Annalee on the tire swing one of the others had hung for the pups to play on. We had slowly been incorporating more and more stuff for the pups to play on so that many could bring them with when they came to run. It was working well so far, there was the tire swing, a jungle gym, and sand box, but most of the little ones loved the tire swing the best.

Are you ready baby? I don’t know about you, but I’m starving.

Of course you are, but yeah I am. I’m sure that they are hungry as well. Let go out tonight, we will go have pizza then go home and get them ready for bed.

Sounds like a plan. I agreed as we pushed to our feet and began to shift back. I stretched out my body feeling better than it had in a long while.

“Come on little ones. It’s time to go.”

“Awe… Do we have to now daddy?” Sabian cried.

“Yupp, unless you don’t want pizza that is?” he said with a shrug knowing that he had them the minute he said pizza. Both of them took off back in the direction of the car as Z and I followed behind them hand in hand.