Chapter 30

With a heavy sigh Jarred threw up his hands in exasperation while Eva grunted. I grinned triumphantly and high-fived Jake. We were playing spades, which was a four player game, but you had a partner. 

"We win... Again." Jake's snide smirk only made me laugh. 

"Shut up! How does somebody who just learned the game win twice in a row?" Jarred shot, being a sore loser.

"Just because it was my first time playing doesn't mean it was Jake's. He said he played it a lot back in DC." I defended. 

"Yeah, but I never lose at Spades. I blame you." Jarred said to Eva. Growling, she started shooting back insults at him, claiming that he was the idiot who wanted to try going double blind in the beginning. 

"It would have worked if you knew how to play your cards right! Jay, Jay! Stop working for a little and come be my partner against Kira and Jake. I have to redeem myself!" 

"Oh, does that mean you're up for round three of getting your ass kicked?" Jake questioned, leaning in toward him for effect. 

"You're on, human boy." 

"It must be embarrassing losing to two people who only been alive a tenth of how long you've been living." 

"Oh put a cork in it you two. Jake, don't let him get in your head. It'll ruin our game." I gave him a head nod, pretending as if our lives relied on this game. 

"No, you don't get to act like that. Jay! Come on!"

"What? I'm getting left out?" Eva asked, looking hurt.

"Yeah honey, you are." Jarred had no sympathy for her, but grinned playfully. 

"I'm busy right now. Maybe I'll play later." Jay commented, not looking our way as he shuffled through papers. I noticed that he was fairly tense, likely because it was 11 PM and Cedric hadn't called us yet. I was also nervous, but I knew that he and Oliver could both take care of themselves. 

At the thought of Oliver I felt my heart drop. I missed him already and was craving his presence and touch. I closed my eyes and easily pictures his gorgeous face with bright blue eyes smiling softly at me. For a moment longer I imagined him telling me he loved me, voice all but ringing in my ears. He was probably sick with worry.

"Earth to Kira. Are you alright?" Jake asked, snapping his fingers.

"Yeah, I just miss Oliver." I sighed, shaking my head. 

"Oh right, your 'mate'." Jarred scoffed. "You guys aren't going to fool me."

"Jarred, the Riken is honestly her mate. We aren't lying to you." Jay spoke calmly, still not looking at us.

"Puh-lease. You're always trying to trick me!" After Jarred's outburst, Jay huffed loudly and finally turned around, a smirk barely visible on his face.

"Well you normally make it pretty easy, but you got me on this one." Jay raised his hands as if to surrender. "Guys we can cut the act now because he's obviously not going to buy this one." He told us, shrugging. 

"Damn, I thought you said he was easy to fool." Jake said, picking up on the prank even quicker than me. I chuckled and looked at Jarred.

"I don't know; I think we had him going for just a little." I remarked, grinning. 

"No way, I didn't believe you for a second. If you would've said you were Cedric's mate I would have maybe swayed, but to suggest you were the Riken of Ibitario's mate- that's just crazy." 

"Ew. I could never even pretend to be mated to him." I shot, making a face. 

"Hey, I hope you aren't suggesting he's not attractive." Eva said quickly. "Because we look a lot alike."