Chapter 17

As Biology class continued, Oliver seemed bored and impatient, consistently fidgeting and nudging me.

"Let me see your class schedule." He whispered quietly so that only I heard him. I reached into my bag and pulled it out.

It read Biology 1, Geometry, History, Lunch, Intro to Physics, Remedial Reading and Grammar, and German 1. They had based most of the classes that we were taking off of the interview we'd had, but also told us that if anything was too hard that we could change out of that class. I found it interesting that I would be taking another language. Each class was 50 minutes, with a 5 minute break in between and lunch was thirty minutes long. 6th period ended exactly at 3 and we were given 10 minutes to go across the street to the training facility and get changed before we had 50 minutes of working out. I handed it to him and he handed me his own.

His read Biology 1, Physics, History, Lunch, German 1, Calculus, and Advanced Weapon and Warfare. We had two classes together plus lunch.

"Why are you in the weapons class?" I whispered to him.

"Jansen had me moved into it after we fought. He asked me about it when you went up to the room yesterday. I figured it'd be better than the English and Grammar class I was supposed to take. He told me he was going to have to pull some strings to get me permission to skip English." He whispered with a smug smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes. Part of me thought that a weapons class sounded cool, but I was fine with just the after school training that would be taking place from 3 to 4.

"Two classes?" He huffed  disappointment, but kept a straight face.

"Oliver, you need to be paying attention and not talking." Ms. Aurn said softly. She had a pity look on her face, and Oliver rolled his eyes. When she was finally finished teaching, she checked her watch.

"Okay class, we have five minutes left so I'll let you talk. No homework tonight." A few people said yes, but mostly, people turned around to look at Oliver and I.

"So you two were slaves?" Someone asked, sounding almost sarcastic.

"Well." Oliver said, glancing at me. "Kira was, but I was a slave leader technically." He said. Everyone froze, knowing exactly what that meant. Just like the interrogators had done to him Saturday, many of the people shot him short dirty looks.

"D-did you say slave leader?" Ms. Aurn said in disbelief, cutting the silence. Oliver nodded his head, but ignored the stares. Some kids pulled out their phones, typing away on them. I hoped it wasn't about us, but I had a feeling that Oliver had the exact opposite wish as me.

Some kids started talking, but they left Oliver and I alone. When the bell rang however, the boy who'd been sitting on my right side gave me a nervous smile.

"Do you want me to help you to the next class."

"She's fine without your help." Oliver snapped from my left. The boy looked at him with a frown.

"I asked her, not you." He said.

"Oh, okay. Kira, do you need his help?" Oliver asked me, narrowing his eyes. I looked at the boy and shook my head.

"That's not fair. You can't scare her into answering the way you wanted her too." The boy argued.

"I didn't scare her into doing anything." Oliver answered, grabbing my arm and pulling me with him out of the room, not another glance to the boy. He walked me to my locker, where we put our new Biology books in, him sharing my locker with me out of laziness, and then took me to my next class. When we were in front of it, I suddenly realized that I was going to be alone in this class with more new people. I looked at him, actually feeling nervous.