Chapter 16

My eyes opened without any resistance as I woke up. I turned over to see that it was only 7:30 in the morning and Oliver was fast asleep. School didn't start until 9, so I had no reason to wake him up. I was surprised; I hadn't woken up early in a long time. My usual early morning riser self had all but disappeared completely ever since I became an elf/vampire. 

I quietly climbed out of the bed and went into the bathroom to take a shower.

Today's my first day of school... Ever.

I couldn't decide if I was nervous or excited, but I figured it was both. I'd always wondered how regular humans functioned, and so far it seemed they were very similar to vampires. If both sides would just stop to see that, then maybe this entire war would just end. 

I shook my head at the thought. I knew that would be impossibly easy. 

After finishing my shower I stayed in the bathroom a little while longer to dry my hair, leaving it nearly perfectly straight. I looked at the clothes that the people of Fight had left me. There was dark colored skinny jeans and somehow, the Fight had gotten my size correct, because they fit perfectly. I put on the black tank-top and added the loose, long sleeve white shirt over it. I looked in the mirror, pleased to see that the outfit was very cute. I finished it off by putting on a pair of black combat boots. 

I walked out of the bathroom and nearly ran into Oliver. 

"Wow, someone's looking hot." He said, eyes doing an up-down of my outfit. He was only a pair of dark jeans, so between his bed head and abs I had to struggle to keep my mouth closed. 

"I could say the same thing to you." I said with a laugh, walking past him to the kitchen. I heard him chuckle at my words. 

"Make some breakfast. I'm starving and I want the food ready for when I get out of the shower." 

"Say please."

"Why?" 

"Because I'm not your slave." I said, smirking a little. He raised an eyebrow and made slow, calculating steps back to me. He stopped only a few inches away from me, so I had to look up at him.

"Kira, will you pretty please make some breakfast for me." He said quietly, leaning his head down ever so slightly so that I could look him in the eyes. Their brilliant color of blue made me catch my breath and I knew my face was bright red.

"I guess, but I expect a proper thank you when you get out." I said, turning away from him.

"Deal." He winked at me then surprised me by kissing my cheek before escaping to the bathroom. My heart was fluttering and I couldn't help but to feel utterly giddy. I couldn't explain what was happening, but it was like I could feel our mate bond returning. 

Was I attaching myself to him? I wasn't sure if it was my doing, because I had no idea how to reconnect my mate bond. I thought carefully back to when Vladen was explaining how Elf mates work.

"Well us Elves don't 'meet' our mates the way vampires and wolves do. Anything you thought you knew about our mating ways is most likely wrong. We chose ours. We don't have inner beings like the others because we ourselves are the essence of power and most pure of any species. When an Elf chooses a mate, it's more powerful than a vampire because it was a choice to bind yourself to them. We can mate with whatever species we like too. If fact, our mate bonding ways are so strong, they can break a mate bond a vampire might have with someone else, and reconnect that person to ourselves." 

His words echoed in my ears.

Ugh, damn him. What did that mean anyway? I wish I would've asked about the whole 'essence of power' crap and questioned him further about how they broke a mate bond.