Chapter 11

It took over two hours for us to even reach the front of the security line. Surprisingly, there were actually very few others who needed to be cleared, and Oliver and I were the only ones from 'vampire territory'. All of the others were from different human settlements.

We remained silent and stiff through it all, keeping up our cautious and run down facade. We both understood we had to act like we'd never had normal conversations with other people.

"Next" A voice called out. Oliver and I both followed a man down a long hallway and into a room. There was a small rectangular table with two chairs on either side. We sat down slowly and glanced expectantly back at the man.

"Someone will bring you water to drink and you'll be joined shortly to be cleared."

"Okay, thank you." Oliver responded politely. I could see he was tense though. The overwhelming scent of the humans blood was even affecting me. Although, I was betting he was also feeling annoyed at the fact he had to kiss up to humans.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly, knowing he'd know what I meant.

"Yeah, just a little on edge." He muttered, eyes scanning the room. I looked around as well, noticing it was strangely dark and there a glass pane near the door. I narrowed my eyes at it, confused as to why it would be there.

"It's fixed so that they can see us and we can't see them. I'm betting this room is used for interrogation purposes, which makes me feel like we're about to be interrogated too."

"Why would you think that?" 

"I don't know. I just have a weird feeling." He said, tone slightly dark. Just as he finished his sentence the door opened and a man and a woman walked inside the room.

The man wasn't very tall, but he well built and somewhat young, maybe around his early thirties. He had light brown, short hair and wore casual jeans with a decent shirt. The woman was much older though, and had a strict look about her. Her grey hair was in a tight bun and she was wearing a formal skirt and dress top, completed with heels that clicked loudly when she walked.

As they sat down an invisible cloud of perfume his me and I scrunched my nose slightly. 

"Hello, my name is Loreane and this is Kevin. We will be taking you through your questioning and getting you both placed in school." The woman said while looking down in a folder and shuffling through papers.

"First, do you know the name of the vampire you lived under?" She asked, looking entirely uncaring. I remained silent, knowing that Oliver would handle the questions.

"Yes, his name was Colton. I don't know his last name though. He never spoke of it with any of the slaves." Oliver said, keeping a look of boredom on his face. I figured I looked as nervous as I felt. She continued to ask random, seemingly unimportant questions about us and Oliver continued to answer. 

"What were your roles in the vampire nation?" She asked. I'd already talked to Oliver about this and knew that his answer might cause this questionnaire to last much longer.

"I was a slave leader, Kira was just a slave." He answered as if it were just as simple as all of the others. The woman, Loreane, froze, just as Kevin looked up in surprise. She slowly followed his lead, meeting our faces for the first time since the questions started.

"Is that why you're the one answering everything?" Kevin asked, suspicion in his eyes.

"Yes."

"When you say slave leader, what do you mean exactly?" Loreane asked, narrowing her eyes slightly.

Oliver leaned in toward her, clasping his hands and giving her a pointed look.

"I mean that I controlled the slaves for Master Colton. I made sure everything was completed and that everyone followed the rules. If he was there to oversee everyone I just continued to keep everything on track. I was also the punisher if something went wrong. Master Colton didn't particularly like to bother with punishing the slaves, so that was almost always solely my duty." Oliver said, leaning back again. I saw a twitch of irritation cross the woman's face, but she kept her cool.