Chapter 10

I woke up in a cold sweat. Nightmares had left me feeling sick to my stomach and not rested at all. The worst of my nightmares, was the only one that was true however. 

Vladen had broken the bond between Oliver and I.

"Are you okay?" Oliver asked. I looked over at him sharply, then looked at the ground.

"I'm fine." I lied. 

 This was unbelievable. How could he have done this to me? He was a selfish bastard and I was going to make sure he would pay. 

"Are you sure?" Vladen asked from behind me. 

"Actually no, I'll be better when you're gone." I snapped. He flinched as if I'd hurt him, and for a brief moment I felt bad.

No, this is only because he attached himself to me. I have no real feelings for him. I told myself. I looked at Oliver and he was laughing silently, as if me being mean to someone was entertaining. I couldn't help but smile when he did.

"What's funny?" Vladen asked, surprisingly calm. 

"It's just that Kira's funny when she's mad. I can't take her seriously." He said, grinning slightly. My cheeks heated up at his statement and I saw Vladen frown. It was like he'd expected me to run into his arms after breaking our bond, even after what I'd told him last night.

"Listen, I don't know what's going on between you two, but if we're going to make this whole thing work we're going to need to cooperate a little. Even if it's funny when Kira gets angry." He added, winking in my direction. My heart rate picked up and I smiled at him slightly.

I could see that somewhere deep down he still had feelings for me, even if e didn't know it. The first time we went through this was hard enough, so the second was bound to be even more frustrating. 

"We should be leaving now if you two are going to have any chance at getting inside the gates tomorrow. And Oliver, stop flirting with my mate." Vladen said, giving Oliver a poisonous glare. Oliver chuckled and raised his arms in surrender. 

"You two are going to go on without me, and I don't want to have to worry about you trying to steal my mate. I'll check up on the two of you whenever possible though." He said, still glaring.

"Are you kidding? You asshole piece of-" 

"Kira darling, that language is very inappropriate." Vladen said, interrupting me. Oliver had started laughing at this point. My face was heating up in anger so much so that I could feel my ears getting hot.

"You clearly don't know Kira that well yet. You don't want to talk to her that way." Oliver said in between breathes. Vladen kept his eyes on me though, as if daring me to speak against him again.

"You're the one who's trying to steal me from Oliver, and you have the guts to say that to him?" I asked in a low voice, taking his challenge. He scowled slightly.

"I've told you enough times that I'm your mate. You need to just accept it so these feelings of hate will go away. It's not befitting to you." 

"Not befitting to me? Well if you don't think it suits me, restore my bond with Oliver and I'll be happy again. I might even stop hating you." I spit out toward him.

"Let's go Oliver. We only have an hour until we get there." 

The sun was only just starting to peak over the horizon, casting pink and orange colors to fill the sky. Birds were starting to chirp and while it was cold outside, I couldn't feel it.

Such a beautiful morning ruined by that damn elf.

"You can think that again. I don't like him one bit. He's messed with my family." Felix's voice said, startling me. I'd nearly forgotten that I could project my thoughts to him. I could see Oliver and Vladen giving me confused and worried looks.