Chapter 9

I spent the remaining day yesterday working on using both elements at the same time, and today we practiced using them both on the same arm. I still hadn't gotten it, and it was nearly 10 PM.

"We're leaving tomorrow and I still can't do it!" I shouted. 

"Calm down. You'll have time to work on it while we're on the way to the D.C. Area." Vladen said calmly. I hadn't seen Oliver all day, and that was putting my on edge as well. 

I let out a defeated sigh.

"Fine, but I can't practice anymore today. I'm going to bed." I said, my mood still sour.

"Okay, goodnight." He said. He stepped toward me and brushed a piece of my hair out of my face and smiled. I leaned away and bit my lip.

"Yeah, night." I said quickly. I could tell I'd made him feel awkward, but I shrugged it off and hurried inside. Oliver wasn't in either of the living rooms or the study so I checked in our room next. 

Nobody's here either. Where'd he go?

"You might check the kitchen." A voice said from behind, nearly giving me a heart attack. 

"My goodness Felix! You scared me!" I said, putting my hand over my quickly beating heart. He chuckled at my reaction.

"I would say 'I'm sorry', but I'm not." He said, now grinning. I rolled my eyes.

"So he's in the kitchen?" I asked, ignoring his triumphant grin. Oliver really did get his mischievous side from him.

"Yes ma'm he is." Felix replied. I gave him a curious look.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" 

"Oh nothing." He said, grinning wider. I gave him the suspicious look he deserved and started my way downstairs. 

"We haven't gotten to talk in awhile." I said through my thoughts. I still got weird looks from people if I talked aloud with him in public.

"Come to think of it, I don't think Oliver knows I can talk to you through my thoughts at all. I never told him because at the time of discovery he was being all bipolar." 

"Yes, the many quirks of Oliver. And you've been busy, so I've kept my distance. I've just been haunting my children and grandchildren. You know, the normal." He said. I always loved that Felix was so lighthearted, and I chuckled with him at his ghostly pun.

I walked into the dining area and was surprised that it was set neatly with two of the good china plates and cups, and was lit entirely by candles. Various gourmet foods had been set near the plates and Oliver was standing there grinning at me.

I gasped slightly in awe. It was beautiful.

"Enjoy your night." Felix said, winking at me before disappearing.

" It's wonderful Oliver!" I said after another short moment of taking everything in.

" I'm glad you liked it. I figured you'd be tired and hungry. I just wanted to do something for the love of my life before we go through with our plan." He said with a casual shrug. I walked to him and wrapped my arms around his next and placed a gentle kiss on his lips.

"I love you so much." I said quietly.

"I still love you more." He said, kissing me again. It took us a minute before we allowed ourselves to sit down and eat. The food had been perfectly made and was delicious.

"I didn't know you could cook so well." I commented after finishing, with a wink.

"Well I haven't ever needed to cook. You generally take care of that." He said, still smiling at me. He hadn't stopped all dinner, and every time I saw it, I blushed.