Chapter Nine

Colton's House Above

Brielle's POV

At this moment I am sitting at Colton's dining room table with his parents staring intently between me and Colton. We have been sitting in this awkward silence for a good ten minutes with them staring.

"MOM, DAD PLEASE JUST STOP." Colton yelled at his parents
"Do not talk to us like that Son, we just want to understand how Brielle has been over these couple of years and how you to started dating."

Okay, now this is where I have to cut in, "Okay hold on a second Mr. Pierce, me and Colton just started being friends again. There is no way on earth I would date Colton, like never ever. Ever. Like-" Colton snapped at me now irritated "Okay Brielle, I think they get it."

Colton's mom spoke up, "Now there's the Brielle we knew and loved."

I just smiled in response not knowing what to say, "So Brielle, how did my son become your tutor? He can't possibly be better in school than you with-" "That's enough Patrick!" Colton's mom stopped him from going any farther. I looked over at Colton to see his jaw clenched, "All I am saying Is that he has not been doing that well with his grades and after what he did to Brielle.. how he left her after Blake died-"

His dad didn't even finish before Colton cursed at him and got up from the table angrily leaving us in a silence. I saw Colton head upstairs before I excused myself from the table. I know it's not my place to talk to him... but I have to.

I walked up the stairs to the roof, I remember he would always come up here to cool down, he must have heard me because I saw his back muscles stiffen.

"Hi," he then turned to me to talk, "How'd you know I was up here?"

I remembered his words from earlier, "Well, I may have not been around for a year or two but I can still read you like a book." I told him smirking, he didn't seem affected by my attempted humor and turned his back towards me again. I walked up to him slowly not wanting him to lash out at me and to my surprise it seemed like my presence calmed him, "Do you remember that day you found me up here?" He asked me as I slowly nodded, It had been the day that Blake and him had the fight, I had snuck out to go find Colton and I saw him coming up to the roof. "Why did you follow me?"

He looked at me intently wanting my answer, "I-I just heard the screaming a-and when you left I came downstairs to see what was happening and Blake was mad, like really really mad. I asked about you... he told me to go back upstairs, and don't worry about you."

"But... you came to my house anyway, why?" I could still feel Colton's gaze burn into the side of my face as I looked out over the stars. "I came because I had to make sure you were okay."

I turned to look at him, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Why did Blake freak out so much about what you told him?"

He rubbed his hand over his face before answering, "Because Brielle, you were his little sister and I told him that I thought I had feelings for you."

"I-I know that, you told me that already. What I don't understand is why didn't you talk to me?"

"Brielle you were his sister. I couldn't come to you without talking to him first, what I thought I felt for you... I-I didn't know how you would respond. I didn't know how he would respond. When we had that fight I thought about everything that was said, and I realized that I couldn't like you. My feelings were just confused, I didn't like you. I was on the way over to your house to tell him... and that's when the sirens passed me and headed straight to your house."