Artists Can Be the Saddest People

Artists can be the saddest people...

Painters and those who draw are the saddest people because countless hours and countless techniques of them coming up with idea after idea and scrapping one after the next to come up with the perfect picture and have someone who has never once held a brush or a pencil in such a way, never once gone through that mental torture of self deprication, say it's not "true art. It's not as good as _______." and walk away.

Musicians are the saddest people because they spend their lives study what seems to others to be another language and learning to play the language on an instrument or voice. If it's not perfect, there will be some complaints, but when asked to duplicate the feat, the response is often the same, "It's too difficult." In some places by some people, music is not considered an art. This also is a struggle musicians face. Musicians also face the saddness in the perfection they hope to achieve but can never reach because in music, anything lower than a 100% is a failing grade.

Authors are the saddest people because for the hours they spend putting the characters together, the readers spend minutes tearing them apart. For the years of mental turmoil and constant thought and author puts into a book, a reader puts a day into criticism and ruining it for many. Even the biggest fans of books are often the biggest critics. They pick apart every last detail until there's nothing left to enjoy. Authors write and erase, type and delete, revise and edit, quit and start again, all for reader who will enjoy the works but often rip it apart.

Even though there are the moments when people enjoy the works of the artists, the moment where it feels like they could be on top of the world, the good is typically outweighed by the bad. The negative sticks in the minds of the artists more than they care to admit.

So now you know why artists are the saddest people. They give away their happiness in the form of their creativity; they give it away to people who crush it and in turn crush them. Now you can see what's wrong with me. I'm all 3.

Cora Theresa