Heard As The Outcast Hears

Of course the minuet I walked in all eyes turned to me. The only way in and out of this house besides the windows was a door that leads to our kitchen. On any normal day I would have used a window but the alpha of our pack, Alpha Jacobson, was here. If I wanted to be beta when my dad stepped down I had to appear mature and not shy. "Ah, Abigail. So nice of you to join us." I offered a small smile to Alpha Jacobson.

"Thank you Alpha Jacobson." My voice was higher and sweet but quiet. "Please come join us." My father said. A few Alpha's and their sons were there along with Beta's and future Beta's if they were old enough. Because I still hadn't found my mate I was the only girl at the table. My pack was unique that way. Alpha's were always male but that was just because Alpha couples always have a boy first. Women on the other hand could be Beta's or other high ranking position, as long as they were the first born or an older sibling died. Girls typically though weren't Beta's because their mate was in another pack.

"Will Alpha Michaels be joining us?" I had never met Theo Michaels in person but he was the alpha of one of the neighboring packs. I've heard he is one of the strongest Alpha's in generations and the most popular guy within all the packs of this state. At 22 he was the youngest current Alpha. "No, I am meeting with him tomorrow." As I took my seat next to my father I thought about some of my dances. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.

Pirouettes, coupe turns, faute turns, ballottés...... "Abigail stop. Now is not the time to be thinking about that." My father mind linked me. He always knew when I thought about dances when I wasn't meant to. The Alpha's and Beta's were talking about the rogue problem in our area. "We should start training at ten if it is becoming a problem."

"But that is way before the shifting age." Wolves usually shifted for the first time on the new moon after their 14th birthday. If you had alpha or beta blood you shifted a bit earlier. If you were smaller in size and build you often shifted later. I had shifted for the first time at twelve. My father had helped me through the shift. Usually I was the one staying at home to take care of my brother but when I shifted someone else had to. At least until he shifted.

Mom had died when I was eight so often I was taking care of my brother while dad attended beta duties. During the new moons I loved to shift and stay around this water fall in the neutral territory. It was so beautiful and only I knew about its whereabouts. It always brought me calm because my mom showed to me before she died. Every new moon I went there to shift. "Yes because we all know if our room was big enough to shift in you would just stay there."

"Shut up Evey." Before I knew it the meeting was over. I wasn't even sure what conclusion they came to. "Abigail, when Alpha Michaels comes tomorrow I want you there." Why would he want me there? "Why? Why me of all people father?"

"We decided on sending someone to their pack to see if they can be trusted instead of having Alpha Jacobson meat with him." The alpha might be the most outgoing and kind person ever but the Snow Moon Pack was one of the most vicious packs ever. Rumors speed of this shack out deep in the woods where they torture anyone who is an enemy. They are said to kill entire packs sparing no one. "Why me dad? Why not Adam?" My father just sighed and we sat down on the couch. "I have put saying this off long enough. You need to get out of your comfort zone if you want to be beta." Damn it! "No! Don't be beta! Mate won't be in this pack!" Why did I have to get the wolf that wouldn't shut up?!

"Fine I'll go." I didn't wait for him to say anything. My room was just simple. Grey walls with a futon to sleep on and books lining the wall. I also had a small desk for homework and art stuff. My room was weird in the fact that I had all my dance shoes up on a shelf. From my ballet slippers to many pairs of pointe shoes. When I got to my room my phone rang.

Sorry I can't make today. Dad has my day packed with alpha stuff.

It's fine Adam.

So instead I just switched into a gray tank top, black leggings with a black half cardigan dancer shirt over the tank. Dad had bought me these shoes that mimic pointe shoes but allowed me to dance outside. When I went down stairs I got a water bottle quick and drove to the woods.