ix. the suspect and the quidditch game

⚡⚡⚡

⚡⚡⚡

That night, Gemmalynn and Harry were in Gilderoy Lockhart's office for their detention. The walls of Lockhart's office were lined with framed photographs of, obviously, himself.

Gemmalynn, Harry and Lockhart worked by candlelight at an ornate desk. A bleary-eyed Harry and a frowning Gemmalynn addressed some envelopes, while a cheery Lockhart wrote his signature to the stack of glossy photos bearing his image.

"Harry, Gemmalynn, Harry, Gemmalynn. Can you two possibly imagine a better way to serve detention than by helping me answer my fan mail?" Lockhart said, happily.

"Not really." Harry replied and forced a smile.

Harry glanced at Gemmalynn and saw how she held her quill tightly, trying so hard to control herself. Gemmalynn refrained herself from ripping her hair out, nonetheless gave Lockhart a strained smile.

"Fame's a fickle friend, Gemmalynn, Harry. Celebrity is as celebrity does. Remember that."

Gemmalynn and Harry glanced at each other and nodded at Lockhart. Gemmalynn's face darkened as she stared at the towering stack of envelopes remaining in front of her. She looked at Harry, who was also staring at the stack of letters gloomily.

"This is neverending." she muttered.

Gemmalyn turned her head back to the letter in front of her and sighed as she and Harry dipped their quills and started to write, again, when suddenly a chilly voice filled the room.

'Come... Come to me...'

Gemmalynn gasped softly in surprise as she looked up and glanced around the room. She noticed Harry doing the same and looked at each other in confusion.

"What?"

Lockhart looked at the two. "Sorry?"

Gemmalynn rolled her eyes. "No, not you."

Harry looked at Lockhart. "That voice." he said.

"Voice?" Lockhart asked, curiously as he looked around the room.

"There was someone speaking." Gemmalynn told him. "Didn't you hear it?"

Lockhart stared at the two Gryffindors in confusion. "What are you two talking about? I think you two are getting a bit drowsy." he said and gasped when he saw the time. "And Great Scott, and no wonder look at the time! We've been here nearly four hours! Dinner's nearly done! Spooky how the time flies when one's having fun."