xvii. the open heart and the break in

⚡⚡⚡

⚡⚡⚡

That night at the Great Hall, Gemmalynn watched as Lavender and Parvati huddled over a dozen teacups, avidly interpreting patterns in hushed voices. Her green eyes met Harry's as they turned around towards the Slytherin table and saw Draco, arm bound in a sling, talked among a clot of Slytherins with Pansy sitting closely beside him.

"Does it hurt terribly, Draco?" Pansy asked, worriedly.

Draco shrugged. "It comes and goes. Still, I consider myself lucky. According to Madam Pomfrey, another minute or two and I could've lost the arm."

Gemmalynn rolled her eyes in annoyance as she turned her attention away from Draco. "He's lying." she said as Harry, Ron and Hermione looked at her. "Hagrid asked me to stay and look after him earlier. He is perfectly fine."

Ron frowned. "The little git. He's really laying it on thick, isn't he?"

"At least Hagrid didn't get sacked." Harry said and Gemmalynn nodded in agreement.

"Yes. But, I hear Draco's father's furious. I don't think we've heard the end of this." Hermione told them.

Gemmalynn sighed heavily. "It wasn't Hagrid's fault. It was entirely his." she said and gestured her head towards Draco. "He didn't listen when Hagrid explained how to approach Buckbeak. He's careless and---"

"He's been sighted!"

The four turned to Seamus, who with the other Gryffindors huddled over a copy of The Daily Prophet.

Gemmalynn looked at them, confused. "Who?"

Her question was answered when she saw the photograph on the Prophet's front page. Her eyes widen in horror when she saw it was Sirius Black.

"Achintee? That's not far from here." Hermione mumbled as she looked at Gemmalynn and Harry worriedly.

"You don't think he'd come to Hogwarts, do you?" Neville asked, worriedly .

"With the Dementors at every entrance?" Lavender said in disbelief.

"Dementors? He's already slipped by them once, hasn't he? Who's to say he can't do it again?" Pavarati said.

Gemmalynn and Harry exchange a fearful glance. "He is going to Hogwarts, he's coming to find us."

⚡️⚡️⚡️

The next day, in Professor Lupin's classroom, a tall wardrobe rattled violently as Gemmalynn, Harry, Hermione, Ron and several of their classmates, both Gryffindor and Slytherin, regarded it warily.