xiii. the heir and the chamber of secrets

⚡⚡⚡

⚡⚡⚡

The next morning at the Hospital Wing, Madam Pomfrey watched with a frown on her face as Gemmalynn, Harry and Ron talked to a petrified Hermione.

"There's no point in talking to a petrified person. She won't hear a word you're saying."

Gemmalynn looked down sadly. "We know, Madam Pomfrey."

Ron glanced at Gemmalynn and shifted uncomfortably. "It's just, well, you see, we thought, maybe, we could be with her for a bit. She's our friend, you see, and even if she can't hear us. I mean, it can't hurt, can it?"

A glint of sympathy flickered in Madam Pomfrey's eyes and smiled fondly at them. "Very well, then, but be quick about it." she said and left the Gryffindors alone.

Gemmalynn, Harry and Ron looked at each other and nodded before stepping closer to Hermione's bed. Absently, Ron picked up the circular mirror that laid on the nightstand and eyed Lockhart's get well card.

Ron glanced at Gemmalynn and Harry. "You don't think Lockhart could be the heir of Slytherin, do you?" he asked, curiously.

Gemmalynn frowned at him. "That's an insult for the real heir of Slytherin and for Salazar himself, Ronald." she told him as Harry shook his head in disbelief.

Ron nodded. "Right. Forget I said it."

Gemmalynn and Harry nodded in unison. "Gladly."

Gemmalynn sighed heavily as she looked back to Hermione. "Wish you were here, Hermione. We need you. I need my best friend more than ever. I can't solve this without you." she said, sadly.

The mirror in Ron's hand caught the late afternoon sunlight and cast a jagged flame across Hermione's hand. Gemmalynn noticed the light dance over her fingers and leaned closer to find a paper clutched there.

Gemmalynn gasped in surprise. "Harry, Ron." she called out to the two boys and gestured her head towards Hermione's hand.

Harry and Ron followed her line of sight and also saw the paper clutched in Hermione's hand. Their eyes widen in shock and looked at each other.

Gemmalynn took the crinkled paper and found it was a torn paper from a library book. Her eyes widen as she looked at Hermione in disbelief.

"She ripped it?"

Gemmalynn looked at Harry and Ron, who couldn't believe what she said, before reading the torn page.

"Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the Basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it and only the crowing of the rooster can kill it."