xii. the best friend and the spiders

⚡⚡⚡

⚡⚡⚡

Inside the Gryffindor common room, Gemmalynn and Harry sat together on the sofa beside the fireplace as the redhead heiress flipped through the blank pages of the diary.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing." Gemmalynn complained and turned to Harry. "What are we gonna do?"

Harry shrugged. "I have no idea. If you and Hermione couldn't figure it out, what do you expect me to do?"

Gemmalynn sighed heavily and closed the diary, but noticed a bottle of ink sitting on the desk nearby. Her eyes widen when she thought of an idea and smiled.

Noticing her smile, Harry looked at her, confused. "What is it?"

Gemmalynn turned to him and her smile got bigger. "I have an idea." she told him.

Harry quietly watched Gemmalynn as she took a quill from the table. She dipped it, and hesitated as a drop of ink fell towards the blank page of the diary. The ink blazed briefly before vanishing as if it were sucked into the page.

Gemmalynn and Harry gasped loudly in surprise and looked at each other.

"I knew it!" Gemmalynn exclaimed, excitedly and wrote in the diary.

Our names are Gemmalynn Vell Peer Dumbledore-Gryffindor and Harry Potter

The words blazed and vanished. Slowly, oozing out of the page, came a response.

Hello, Gemmalynn Vell Peer Dumbledore-Gryffindor and Harry Potter. My name is Tom Riddle

"Harry, you try it." Gemmalynn said, eagerly as she handed Harry the diary and her quill.

"Do you know anything about the Chamber of Secrets?" Harry asked and wrote his question in the diary.

Yes

"Can you tell us?"

No

Gemmalynn and Harry glanced at each other and frowned.

"Well, that was a buzzkill." Gemmalynn muttered just as the diary replied to them.

But I can show you

Gemmalynn's eyes widen in surprise. "That I didn't expect." she mumbled, intrigued, and turned to Harry, who smiled at her.

Gemmalynn and Harry waited and the pages of the diary fluttered wildly before stopping on the date June the Thirteenth. On the page, a tiny square shimmered like a window.

Gemmalynn lifted the diary as Harry grabbed her hand before closing their eyes. They pitched forward, spilling through the widening window, into a whirl of color and shadow before tumbling onto their feet in torch-lit corridor. Everything was desaturated, excluding Gemmalynn and Harry, who retained their true, rich colors of the present.