The Uninvited

Police station, Laketown

I take the coffee cup in my hand and move around the office trying to find the stupid pen drive. I am trying to figure out where I left it? 

I remember looking through the data last night and then ejecting it from the system. But where did I keep it after that? 

Now I will have to quickly recollect the earlier events to remember where I kept it! 

So, here it goes

Last night, I have cleaned the table by organizing the files on my table.

Today, I entered my cabin...kept the bag on the table... and moved the files to place it on the table in the corner.....then arranged the pen stand.....then picked the paperweight.....wait! 

oh yes! 

The pen stand!!

I can't be more systematic than how I am being till now. For the past 3 years, with all the cases that I have solved and the notes that I have maintained, I have been very keen in placing the things.

Sometimes I wonder how fast the time flies by. I was always busy with one or the other investigation and never thought about going somewhere for a holiday. Or may be I don't want to go on one. I could not bring myself to plan one. The reason is I will miss her. I should not think think about her now. Or I won't be able to concentrate on the task at hand. I have always been here. I have worked on many cases but nothing compared to the case that I am currently working on.

The shrill sound of the desk phone interrupts my reverie. I look at the number and tense. Why is AJ calling now? Our meeting was supposed to take place after four hours. 

There must be some problem.If something else came up, he may want to postpone the meeting. 

I find it very irritating to postpone something which causes a further delay in the investigation. Needless to say, situation is getting out of control!

I pick up the phone and listen to my boss's monotonous voice. I am surprised while I hang up. This must be important for him to have a meeting immediately.

Anyways, I  pick up the files from the drawer and make the way towards meeting room.

I walk into the meeting room and shake hands with my superior. I find it rather unusual that he has bags under his eyes. Clearly, he hadn't slept all night. I wonder if this case is again going to go downhill as it has been for the past 6 months.

I wait for further instructions in my seat, but he doesn't say anything. I thought our team was going to attend this meeting, but nobody turns up.

"Is anybody expected to join the meeting other than me?"

AJ turns towards me "No"

"Well then, why don't you go ahead and tell me what is bothering you?"

AJ looked conflicted, like he was mulling over things again and again.

"I will let Chief tell you everything in detail"

To say I am shocked would be the understatement of the century, nobody from the investigation team has ever talked to the hierarchy. 

But this case is different.In Laketown and Heather, we never had any more problems than normal burglary or traffic accidents. But a murder came as a shock.

I brace myself to meet the man/woman in question. Instead a high pitched noise came from the visual display. So, I will not be meeting anyone after all. I waited, but was only wished with a sound. I turned to AJ. He was dialing. So, we will be only doing the talking.