The sweet-bitter get together

Next morning, I woke up, did my chores and cleaned my apartment. I stuffed my used clothes in the laundry and then collected all the papers and locked my apartment.

I stopped at Junkies, kept thinking while munching on my breakfast. I made my way to the jeep and all of a sudden, I remembered it.

How could I have not recollected it earlier?

Well, this makes the case more interesting.

With that thought, a slight spring in my step, I entered into my jeep and started to the office.

As I neared my office, I was looking forward to meet Angel Stone.

She has been working in Heather for four years. She has solved many cases by untying the knots logically. She is known to interpret a case according to the situation and understand the crime scene, how the victim or the convicted ended up there and all the possible ways to join the bits and pieces with the available evidences. She is known to rule out the list of suspects after having a one-on-one with each of them personally. She is known to be meticulous and to the point.

The thing which surprised me and AJ is that she was leaving an ongoing case! And that has never happened.

She is known to take up a case, solve the case till the end, and provide all the evidences along with the complete occurrence of events. And by any chance, if by unforeseen circumstances, she is moved to some other case, she is known to ask for a certain period of time to solve the case before joining to the assigned one.

As far as AJ's knowledge and my understanding, she is working on a murder investigation of Sheriff's relative at Heather. It is an ongoing case. Michael is leading the investigation. What is Chief's interest to involve Angel in this case? And why did Angel agree to it? What is the hidden agenda of this sudden involvement?

With all the thoughts swirling in my head, I made my way to my cabin. Maria came to inform me that AJ was looking for me.

Our team at Laketown has five members who are working on this case. AJ, me, Maria, Vicky and Ron. Vicky is very talented at finding out the whereabouts. She has been with us since one year. Ron and Maria joined before Vicky but are very good at finding out information. They have done a remarkably good job even though this is the first murder investigation we all have worked upon.

We have gone through all the evidences many times, came up with different theories, but nothing turned out of it. Everything seemed to be a dead end.

When I entered AJ's cabin, there was someone else waiting. I looked into those blue eyes and recognition flashed in them. But she quickly masked it in front of AJ. I would have thought she was denying to acknowledge me if not for interrupting him when he was about to give my introduction.

"I know him. We met four years back at Milton."

AJ raised his eyebrow. But said nothing. Guess it was my turn.

"Well, we were friends for a very short span."

He was still not convinced.

"I never knew Angel Stone was actually the 'Angy' I knew."

To this Angel spoke up.

"Even I never expected Officer Hill would be you. You were 'Danny' to me. And I don't prefer the word 'friends' to describe us". She said this with a motion of her finger between me and her. "We just knew a little about each other."

She stared for a minute longer.

Sensing the tension building between us, AJ spoke up

"Why don't you take your seats?"

To this, she responded with a nod.

I have to agree, she looked fit from last time I have seen her.

"We both were informed by the Chief that you are going to report today. But before you take charge, I need to make myself clear of the confusion Angel" AJ grimaced while asking "Do you need time to solve the Montoya's case?"

Montoya is the Sheriff's relative who was murdered.

"No sir, I have completed my investigation two days back and handed over the report to Michael."

"So, are you saying that you were already asked to join this case?"

"Yes sir, three months back."

"And you asked for a period of three months for Montoya's murder?"

She was silent for some time.

"No sir, I asked four months."

I was skeptical. How can she give a time frame?

Judging my look, understanding coursed through her and she answered both of us

"I had reached a point where I knew what the motive of the murder was. The list of suspects was ready and I already had an idea of the time it would take to put the pieces together. That was it."

AJ was impressed.

"But you finished before the deadline that you gave for yourself."

Again silence.

"Fortunately."

"So, as you are finished with that, let us look into Veronica's death."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the meeting was over and the details were discussed, she asked me to meet up for a coffee.

Now....as we sat across each other staring at traffic outside, I was wondering what Angel wants.

I turned to look at her.  If the connection that I made earlier is valid, then I have to make Angel confess about it.

Angel caught him staring at her.

"Can you please tell me what's bothering you?"

"You."

"And why is that?"

"Oh please, you know the reason!"

"There is nothing personal."

"Everything you do is personal. I can see that Angel."

"No Danny, you are not the only one who knows everything."

I stopped short at that name. Again, she was doing that again...... and she knew it.

She can't hurt me again. I am not going to allow it.

"Angy, you left me all of a sudden when I did not deserve it. You left me for someone. And you expected me to understand it. I did.

 I agree about what you said to AJ that we know very little about each other."

I was furious.

 She was sad.

She silently added.

"I left for her."

"What?" I am confused.

Whom is she talking about?