f i f t e e n

Insomnia

Continued

Arthur's P.O.V

Yet again, this man is without a wink of sleep.

"Someone let me sleep... for the fairy's sake." I groaned as I stood by the wheel, rubbing at my burning, heavy eyes. "Spare me the torture..." I whined under my breath.

Suddenly, a hand fell on my depressed shoulder, "Arthur, are you okay?" asked a voice which I secretly came to love. I looked back to see a worried ____ right behind me. 

With a heavy sigh, I replied, "I'm fine."

"You think I'll be satisfied with that?" she asked, cutely putting her hand on her hips, "You're bloodshot eyes are crying for sleep."

"Why do you care?" I scoffed.

"As your underling, it is my duty."

Underling, huh? On normal occasions, my boorish mind would conjure something dirty, but I was too tired for that. I said nothing in return. 

She continued her rambling and I decided to ignore her and stare at the ocean for a while. I rolled my aching shoulders and massaged them. She noticed I wasn't paying attention and sighed.

"Insomnia?" she asked.

"I don't know." I replied with another sigh as I slammed my fist gently on the rails, "If I can't sleep, then there's something troubling me."  

"Well, you'd better keep your cool if you don't want no splinters on your hand." she said as she gently place her hand on my fist. 

I relaxed under her touch and took a deep breath.

"Tell me about it." she said.

"About what?" I replied.

"About whatever's keeping you awake."

"I'd rather not."

"Why?" 

"It's got nothing to do with you."

She let out a resigned sigh. 

"Well, keeping that aside, I hear we are going to stop by an island to stock up." she stated, "Which island, specifically?"

"Seychelles." 

"I see." she nodded. I felt that something was amiss with her. Something was not right. But, I decided not to bother her with it. I possibly could be hallucinating considering my lack of sleep.

"Arthur, please go and get some sleep." she pleaded.

I paused and gulped. I've been getting nightmares lately. Not just that, even my days are filled with a strange sort of anxiety. It gets worse when she's around. 

"How can I, when I know I'll get nightmares?" I questioned in a murmur.

"This means that nightmares scare the wits out of you, is that right?" she asked challengingly, with a bright smile, "So much that you're even scared to sleep?" 

I understood what she was trying to get at and narrowed my eyes at her. "No," I replied, "I'm not scared."

"And I thought you were a merciless and fearless pirate!" she sighed, in the most sarcastic way. 

She's doing a real good job at provoking me.

"If you are indeed, merciless and fearless, I don't think a petty nightmare-"