t h i r t y - f i v e

Arthur's P.O.V

The night had fallen and it was time. After a shot of whiskey, I took a deep breath and looked at Alfonso. He smiled at me reassuringly.

"I'll be back." I returned the smile, stood up and walked out after adjusting my jacket.

I walked out to the deck and beheld the countless stars above me. I brought my eyes to the earth and found her. She was leaning on the railings at the far end of the deck, with a smile on her face.

That smile is going to disappear...

"_____." I called.

"Arthur!" She exclaimed, "What's up?"

"Nothing much." I stood close to her, "Sorry for bringing you out here so late."

"It's so rare to hear apologies from you!" She laughed and playfully punched my arm.

Her joy was making this a lot harder. I noticed that the commotion died down behind me and I inched a lot closer to her.

"Arthur, is something wrong?" She asked; her smile disappeared. I looked at her with my worried and sorrowful eyes and touched her forehead with mine.

"Arthur?" She called out quietly, with a worried tone. Did she notice the pained look I had? 

"Forgive me..." I whispered, looked into her beautiful eyes and cupped her cheek to hold her in place.

I leaned in a lot closer to her lips and kissed her. Even though it was gentle, it held passion and desire.

I knew. This could probably be the last time I can kiss her; let alone confess my feelings for her. She was surprised at first but again, she surprised me by kissing back.

This felt so bloody good. It was a long kiss until we separated for some air. I longed for those lips, all of a sudden.

"A-Arthur?" She called; her face tinted crimson. I didn't respond to her call. I simply turned to the sea and said,

"I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" She asked.

"I might have to get to my history before I get to the point." I replied, feeling my heart beat faster in my throat and break into pieces at the same time.

I had paused for a moment, but she kept quiet and patiently waited.

"A few years ago, I was a vagabond. Cruel, merciless, I could take someone's life without the slightest bit of hesitation." I started, 

"When I killed, I felt nothing but satisfaction. Washing my hands in the blood of my enemies was nothing short of happiness. Revenge was the only thing I sought for. For a moment, I could actually relate to that Arashi's actions."

"I realized that I used to be exactly like him and it made me feel disgusted. He was like a mirror." I sighed heavily as I felt the weight of emotions slowly slip away.

"Two years ago." I paused and pointed at the bottom of the main mast, "A man was tied up there. We found him in the waters, unconscious. I, being a vagabond back then, thought that he was trespassing our seas."

She looked at the mast while I spoke and then turned to me.

"We pulled him up, tied him to the mast and there, with my revolver, I shot him in the head and killed him."

"That man, really reminded me of you. He was strong enough to laugh at death's door and strong enough to not even fear it. He was so satisfied with his life that it reminded me of a hymn I heard in a funeral..."