t h i r t y - t h r e e

It  was past midnight and all of you were back at the ship, after being welcomed by the anxious crew. Everyone was shocked to see all of you wounded and bruised but most of all, they were more shocked that someone wanted to join the fleet.

In minutes, you saw Antonio being carried to his room by Alfonso himself. While you scanned the empty deck with a heavy feeling, Feliciano came up you and asked,

"Are you alright, mia cara?"

You nodded silently. You were still shaken by what happened to you and what you heard earlier. He smiled softly and continued,

"Arthur is looking for you. Let's go. I need to treat him anyway."

Again, you nodded and followed Feliciano to Arthur's room.

"Ciao, captiano!" He greeted Arthur cheerfully.

"Hey." he nodded and glanced at you momentarily, "Hurry up and bandage me. I feel sick."

Arthur, who was seated at his desk, slumped on his table and sighed. Feliciano giggled and started with his arms. You sat down on his bed and looked at your kimono. 

Only this morning, it was looking beautiful. Now, it was stained with blood and dirt. Your hair was a mess and you felt the bruises they had inflicted on your arms. It hurt. You could feel your tears up to it's brim; threatening to spill anytime.

"Okay, done!" Feliciano smiled and then looked at you, "I'll treat you too!"

But Arthur intervened,

"I'll do it. Now, out you go." he snatched the bandages and other things from Feliciano and pushed him out.

Both of you were alone. None of you spoke. He took the medicines and bandages and sat next to you.

"Are you okay?" He asked. You nodded, yet again. His eyes narrowed slightly as he took an ointment.

"Give me your arm." he said. You quietly gave your arm and did not maintain any eye contact. He rubbed the ointment on your arm and then wrapped a bandage over it carefully.

"The other arm."

You gave the other arm. Still, you didn't look at him. He did the same with the other arm and said,

"____, look at me."

Your head didn't budge, even though you wanted it to.

"Look at me." he pleaded, this time a little quieter.

Even though your neck felt like a chunk of rusted, immobile iron, you turned your head and looked at him. He sighed at the look on your face.

"Geez, you look like a mess. Are you really okay?" He asked again, as he patted your hair down.

That's when all your tears started rolling down your face.

"No..." you mumbled, glad that your vocal chords finally agreed to start working. He let you continue.

"I-I was so....scared.." you gasped for air, "They- they said that they will...kill me if I...."

By now, you broke down completely and said nothing more.

"They..... I... uh..." you mumbled gibberish, trying hard to make some meaningful sentences.

Arthur looked at you intently and then pulled you close.

"Hush," he quieted, "You don't have to say anymore. I know."

"Cry it all out." he whispered and pulled you close. And you did let it all out. It was the only thing to do to get you feeling better.

Arthur's P.O.V

While she sobbed and cried, I was internally sighing to myself.

No, not because of her.

I just felt extremely exhausted after fighting. It's been too damn long since. I looked at her scrunched up little body which was huddled close to mine.

I regret to say so but, I'll be making you cry again soon...

Save your tears for then.

Fifteen minutes passed. My arms and legs felt numb after sitting for so long. By now, I couldn't hear a sound from her. I peeked over and she was staring at the opposite wall, deep in thought.

I snapped a finger in front of her,

"Wake up!" I said loudly.

"Huh?" She blinked and looked at me.

"Feeling better?" I asked.

She nodded without a smile. Obviously, she wasn't. I let her go, stood up and walked to the door.

"Sleep," I said, as I turned to her, "And change your clothes if you need to."

She gave me a weird look. It was as if she didn't want me to leave. But, I hardly noticed. You know, I don't really understand women, to be perfectly honest, so I couldn't make out her feelings. I walked out and called,

"Gilbert!"

"Ja?" He called out a reply.

"When are we setting sail?!" I asked.

"Tomorrow at 7:00 AM!" He replied.

I said nothing and walked over to Antonio's room. I pushed the door open and found Michelle sitting beside his bed.

"How's he doing, Michelle?" I asked.

"I don't know." she replied; her voice cracked.

I walked up to the sleeping Antonio and put my fingers up his neck to check his pulse. The throb was there, faster than ever. His breathing was slowed and a peaceful look was on his face.

"Don't worry, he's okay." I mumbled. She nodded without a word. I patted her back firmly,

"I trust that you'll take care of him."

"I won't let you down!" She looked at me for a moment before grinning widely.

"That's the spirit." I chuckled and walked out again.

I went straight to my favorite place on the ship: the elevation. Feeling weary and worn, I climbed up and laid down, watching the stars.

"What a night. More guilt, more sins on my back. How troublesome."

"Why do I kill? What satisfaction is there? Why do I bear all this unnecessary weight on myself?"

I looked at the sky again and breathed heavily.

Everything I do and everything I feel, all of them contradict each other.

----

It was morning and we were preparing to set sail. The anchors were lifted and the sails puffed up. Just then, we were stopped by a shout.

"Shinran!!"

Shinran, who was standing at the bowsprit, turned to the mainland,

"Nii-chan?" He called as he walked towards the edge.

"Where do you think you're going?!" He yelled.

"I have joined these pirates and I'm going away!" Shinran yelled back.

"Don't! They are madmen!"

"No! I have chosen the path I want to follow and I'm sticking to it no matter what!" Shinran insisted. Kamui fell silent and turned away,

"You'd better not die on me."

Shinran waved at his brother for the last time with a smile on his face. And so, we set sail.

Next destination: Russia

___________________________________________________