t w e n t y - o n e

Forest Nights

-Continued-

-Arthur's P.O.V-

Alfred and I were still wandering in the forest, trying to trace our way back to the beach. It was dark without the moonlight and I had a torch of fire in my hand. Alfred was huddled close to me.

"Artie, don't you feel scared?" He asked.

"Hardly," I replied, "I've been in scarier situations before."

"Like what?"

"A moment of life or death. One small move, you're killed." I said and he shivered out of fright.

"Besides, if I was scared too, you wouldn't stay calm, wouldn't you?" I said and he looked away with a gulp. Sighing, I bent down on my knee and looked him in the eye.

"If anything attacks you, I'm going to make it learn it's place. You can count on it." I said and ruffled his hair.

"Also," I added, "I don't see why you should be scared... when I'm the one protecting you."

I especially emphasized the last part. First of all, I had no idea why I had promised that. Am I getting soft now? 

Hold up, if I actually let Alfred get hurt, I'll have to deal with an angry ____. I killed her father and if I let Alfred die, she might come after my head. 

A bright smile crept up his face, almost making me forget what I was thinking. It was so bright that it was enough to illuminate the whole island.

"Feeling better?" I asked.

"Yes!" He exclaimed and took my hand again. We continued again. While we did, it finally clicked to me.

I said some clichéd crap just to please him?

Or did I really mean it?

Maybe I do.

We were silent. The only audible sounds were of the dried leaves and twigs we stepped on, hoots of owls, chirps of the crickets and croaks of the frogs.

"How much longer?" Asked Alfred.

"I don't know. Be patient." I said.

I'm being unusually kind to him today. What happened to me?

Slowly, sheets of heavy rain fell and a chilly wind blew. We got wet in a matter of seconds. Hastily, I pushed Alfred under the shelter of my coat and continued walking.

I rummaged my bag and somehow, there was a stowaway blanket. I took it and messily wrapped it around Alfred.

"Artie, what about you?" He asked.

"You quit worrying about me. I'm fine." I huffed and wiped my face.

It was getting hard to see, with all the water blurring my eyes. The heavy rain continued while we took our time walking. We finally found a huge, wide mouthed cave. We quickly went inside for shelter. I breathed heavily and flopped down on the ground.

"Artie, are you okay?" He asked, looking at me with concern. I ruffled his wet hair and replied,

"A young brat like you shouldn't make such a solemn face."

"Don't worry, I'm okay." I added. Alfred gulped and huddled close and hugged me tight.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I want you to be warm!" He declared. I said nothing. A secret yet a happy little smile marked my face.

How many years has it been since a child expressed kindness to me?