t w e n t y - t h r e e

Arthur's P.O.V

The next morning came and I was feeling much, much better. I watched everyone bustle around, preparing to set sail. When things settled down in silence, I broke it with a sharp whistle. Immediately, I heard Gilbert shout.

"RAISE THE ANCHORS!!"

As I stood on the deck, facing the sea, I could hear the anchors slowly being pulled up with lots of clatters. Suddenly, another shout went through,

"RAISE THE SAILS!!"

And the sails puffed up and I looked at Antonio, who was at the wheel. I let out another sharp whistle and everyone got in place. With a snap of my finger, I ordered,

"Antonio, set sail."

"Aye, sir!" He grinned and steered the ship forward and so, we started traversing through the sea. I walked to the bowsprit and looked at the sea for a moment.

"Why are we going to India again?" I asked him loudly.

"Your eagle brought a message from there."

"What does it say?" I asked. Just then, a sheet of tattered paper flew over to me and I caught hold of it. I glanced at it briefly,

Good day, Sir Kirkland!

I have been sent word by Sir Alfonso that you are on your way to India. I will be waiting at the port in South Karnataka* for you in six weeks to meet you. Have a safe journey.

-Rahul 

"Who's Rahul?" I asked Antonio.

"He is Alfonso's long time friend. He contacted Rahul telling him that we would make it to India."

"I see." I mumbled.

"Besides, we need someone who can guide us around, right?" He laughed.

"I guess." I sighed, "What does he do?"

"He is a merchant." came the reply.

"What does he sell?"

"Imported items, basically." he whistled softly, "I hear he wants to join us too."

"Whatever for?" I asked.

"He wants to accompany us while he does his business."

I hummed thoughtfully.

"What's on your mind, Arthur?" He asked.

"I don't know." I replied. I heard him bark a little laugh. He looked at his pocket watch and said,

"Alfonso wanted to talk so, I'd better go."

"Right." I nodded.

"Michelle?!"he shouted, "Mind taking the wheel for me?!"

"Sure!" She replied and both switched places.

I, suddenly getting the urge to read, went to the library. Nobody was there, thankfully. I sat down after taking a historical fiction. I opened a random page and started reading.

"T'was an internecine war-"

It was getting boring already so I slammed the book close.

"Is there nothing that will amuse me tonight?" I asked myself and walked out of the library to my room.

Nobody was there, thankfully. Out of boredom, I looked through my wardrobe. I found a dusty violin case. I took it out and opened it.

There was a polished, brown violin, still in good condition, with carved designs which glorified the ongoing period of Renaissance.