Tainted Love

"Ladybug, can I talk to you real quick before Paris is in need of saving again?" Chat Noir and Ladybug both sat on the edge of a rooftop and allowed for their feet to dangle below. For the moment, they were just on patrol watching out for potential criminals.

Ladybug appeared as if she looking out at a distance at the beautiful city, but in reality was only daydreaming about Adrien. She was planning on telling him about her feelings for him later on that day. Chat Noir interrupted her current train of thought. "Hm? Of course, Chat. What's up?"

"Well, uh..." Chat Noir nervously scratched the back of his head with no expression on his face. "It's kind of serious."

"Oh, okay." Ladybug's smile faded as she began to expect the worst possible outcomes. Chat Noir never wanted to have serious conversations, so she began to worry. "Is everything alright?"

Chat Noir chuckled a bit at Ladybug's sudden concern. "Yeah, it's just that there's something I really need to tell you before I lose my nerve."

Ladybug let out a slight sigh, now knowing where his words were soon going to lead. "Chat-"

"Please, just listen to what I have to tell you before you say anything." Chat Noir cut Ladybug off so that he could finish what he had to say. "I love you, Ladybug. Yes, I know that we still don't know each other's true identities. That doesn't matter to me, though. I don't care who you are underneath that mask because I love all of you...even the part that I may or may not already know." With Ladybug's lack of objections, Chat Noir took her silence as a chance to lead in to kiss her.

"Chat?" Ladybug questioned the hero softly, but he continued to lean in towards her. "Chat..." Ladybug whispered once again, this time moving her head back slightly. Still, Chat Noir was unaffected and continued to approach her lips. "Chat, stop!" This time, Ladybug jumped up to stand up, turning her back to her partner.

"L-Ladybug?" Chat Noir stood up as well and walked up behind her.

Ladybug had both of her hands rested on the sides of her head. "This can't happen, Chat."

"Why not? I don't understand." Chat Noir's face fell, as did his tone of voice. Clearly, he was hurt.

"Chat, please..."

Chat Noir approached her from behind and gently grabbed her by the shoulders. He turned her body around in order to have her face him. "No, I have the right to know. I'd do anything for you and you know that."

"It just wouldn't work." Ladybug spoke so softly that it was barely audible.

"Why, Ladybug? Why couldn't it work? Am I really that bad?" Chat Noir persisted.

"Because there's someone else, okay?!"

"Oh. I see." Chat turned away from his love, heartbroken.

Ladybug walked over to him. "Chat, I'm really sorry, I just-"

"No, I get it." Before she could say anything else, Chat jumped from the building. When he was out of sight, he transformed back to Adrien and made his way to the nearest coffee shop. Ladybug happened to notice Adrien and felt instantly excited. She wasn't going to back down this time. Sure, she felt bad about Chat, but she hoped he would understand.

She transformed back to Marinette and ran into the same coffee shop, where she found Adrien sitting alone. She sat in the empty chair in front of him. Well, every other chair was empty. Only the manager was there and they must have been in the back. "Hey, Adrien!" Marinette smiled sheepishly as she waved nervously.

"Hi, Marinette. Now isn't exactly a good ti-"

"I'll only take a second, I promise! I'm sure you're really busy. Do you remember, on Valentine's Day, the poetic card you got?"