Desperation

Wanting to get his mind off of Ladybug's rejection, Adrien transformed himself into his alter ego. Using his magically enchanted staff, he flew from rooftop to rooftop with no direct goal location in mind. Chat Noir passed by the local park when he caught a quick glimpse of Marinette sitting on her balcony. He stopped for a moment to watch her with guilt as he saw her in her deck chair hugging her legs close to her.

Earlier that afternoon, Chat Noir had decided upon admitting to Ladybug his genuine love for her. He felt as if he was lying to her by keeping his true feelings to himself. Of course, Chat Noir had previously prepared himself in case of the event of a rejection. But, what he was not expecting was for Ladybug to tell him that she was in love with another. Chat Noir always assumed that she would dismiss his feelings on behalf of the many risks involved. It was shocking to discover that there was someone else who held her heart. Ladybug might have been genuine with her response, but it did not hurt Chat Noir any less. Perhaps, though, it hurt him a bit too much. Less than an hour afterwards, Marinette had approached Adrien at school and confessed her love to him. She explained that she had developed a strong crush for him almost immediately after getting to know him. Since Adrien's heart still remained heavy, his rejection towards Marinette was a bit insensitive. He may not have been harsh, but her tears told him that he definitely could have been kinder.

Marinette's head rested on top of her arms, unable to see the black cat watching her in the distance. Even in the darkened night sky, it was easily noticeable how upset she was. Knowing that perhaps approaching her as Adrien would not be ideal at the moment, Chat Noir still wanted to fix the disaster that he had caused. Marinette deserved at least some comfort and reassurance.

Chat Noir immediately began to make his way towards the saddened teenage girl, landing on her balcony. "Marinette?" He walked towards the teenager before keeling down beside her and resting one of his hands on her left shoulder. "How are you feline? You look like something is bothering you."

Startled, Marinette lifted up her head and quickly wiped away any tears on her face. Remaining in the same position, she looked over in the direction of the comforting voice. "Hey, Chat." Marinette sat herself up while letting out a fake chuckle. "It's just been a really long day." She looked up at the young boy whom had looked quite down himself. "What about you? You might have everyone else fooled, but I can see right through that false smile of yours." Marinette patted the very end up her deck chair, gesturing for Chat Noir to sit directly in front of her.

Chat Noir sat down on the ground and leaned his head back on the edge of the chat. He was able to look up at Marinette as she stroked his hair carefully. He smiled at her attempt to comfort him. "Nothing gets by you, huh? I've had quite a clawful day, too..." Marinette listened quietly as Chat Noir described his late afternoon. She began to feel extremely guilty  as his voice cracked a bit throughout his story. In reality, the only thing that even kept Ladybug from giving Chat Noir a chance was her love for Adrien. Obviously, she ended up making the wrong choice...

"What about you, purrincess? Care to share what has you down?" Chat Noir grinned as patted the ground in front of him, wanting for Marinette to sit in front of him. With a smile, she got up from her deck chair to sit on the ground along with Chat Noir. He pulled her in closer to him, wrapping his arms around her tightly in a comforting hug. He listened painfully as she told her entire side of the situation, including Alya and Nino being in on the plan. At first, he was surprised that his best friend never mentioned that Marinette was crushing on him. But, after Marinette told Chat Noir how she made both Nino and Alya promise not to say anything, it made more sense. It was just a terrible situation. Adrien did not have anything against Marinette. In fact, he always found her so kind and generous and even pretty cute. If it wasn't for Ladybug, he probably would not have thought twice about being with Marinette. Obviously, he ended up making the wrong choice...

Chat Noir decided that he was no longer going to let the few good things in his life slip away. Once she finished speaking, he pulled Marinette's body and face around towards his own doing nothing but looking into her heavenly blue eyes. "C-Chat?" Marinette began to blush, which she rarely did in front of Chat Noir.

"I'm not willing to lose you again, Mari."

Marinette was so very confused. Yes, Chat Noir was a flirt, but that was usually only with Ladybug. And what did he mean by again? Was there a chance Chat Noir liked her in the past? No matter the circumstance, it seemed wrong to just move on right away. Even if it would not be true, wouldn't Chat feel like he was only rebound? "C-Chat, despite everything, you know I still like someone else. It wouldn't be fair to you if--"

Chat Noir put an index finger over Marinette's lips to hush her for a moment. Once she silenced, he immediately returned his hand to the side of her face. "Why wouldn't it? I still like someone else, too. We deserve to be happy, too, don't we? I might still have some feelings for Ladybug...feelings that may never go away. But, I also like you, Marinette. I can understand, though, if that isn't enough for y--"

Before Chat Noir could finish his sentence, Marinette let her lips connect with his. After several seconds, she slowly backed away from him slightly to look at his reaction. He appeared to be pleasantly surprised as she blushed with a smile. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have just kissed you like that. I mean, you're a superhero and I'm just some average high school girl. I'd just be a weakness that the villains could use against you. We'd have to be a secret and..."

Chat Noir smirked before caressing Marinette's face. "First of all, you're definitely not average, Marinette, you're beyond extraordinary! I'd be willing to give this a shot if you are? It can stay between us for now if that makes you feel any better. Cat's honor!"

The more Marinette thought about it, she would have to move on from Adrien eventually. Why not right then and with Chat Noir? She deeply regretted turning him down as Ladybug because he truly has such a kind soul. There is no one else that she trusts more and she always could rely on him. Perhaps, this was the universe giving Marinette another chance. "I have a feeling that this is such a bad idea, but I have hope. Okay. Let's try to make this work!"

 Let's try to make this work!"