Chapter 1. Catrin Llewelyn.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill of things unknown but longed for still and his tune is heard on the distant hill for the caged bird sings of freedom." -- Maya Angelou

Chapter 1.

Catrin Llewelyn*.

The candles flickered in the nearly dark room, casting dancing shadows over the portraits and paintings that hung on the walls. The fire burning brightly in the fireplace gave warm and slightly mysterious glow to the room. The blinds had already been shut, the curtains drawn and the silent room spoke how the entire household having already gone to bed. Save the figure curled up on the large sofa. Her little nose was buried in the pages of a book and her light blue eyes darted back and forth as they ate up every word printed on the page. She was pretty in an innocent sort of way with her light brown hair gathered up in a simple bun and a few curls hanging loose. Her figure was slim and delicate, and there was a childish feeling surrounding her. Gazing at her from a distance you would have never guessed the girl had already turned nineteen.

Catrin Llewelyn, for that is the name of the bookworm, lifted her head from out of the pages and let out a frightened sigh.

"I must say, my dear Empress," she whispered to the majestic feline who lay sprawled on an overstuffed cushion. "Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales are truly entertaining, yet they can be a little frightening at times. Do you not agree?"

The snowball of a cat, whose full name was Her Royal Majesty The Empress of Derwen Goch* Manor, but who did not object if you called her simply 'Your Majesty', only turned her head and let out a yawn.

"Oh, silly me," Catrin laughed, her melodic voice ringing out across the empty room. "I haven't been reading aloud, so you have no way of knowing what a frightful place I am on. Poor Hansel and Gretel are now at the mercy of a witch." Catrin shuddered as she imagined the scene she had been reading. "What a horrible thing to happen. I would have died if I ever came face to face with a witch."

Her Majesty licked her paws in a careless fashion. "If it is so frightening," she seemed to say, "then why do you read it?"

"And to think the witch wants to eat poor Hansel," Catrin continued, running her hand though the cat's soft fur. "We must read on, oh we truly must."

"I will ask you not to touch me in such a manner." The cat brushed the hand away with her paw

The door squeaked open and Magwen, the housekeeper of the large house, peeked in.

"Miss Llewelyn," she scolded as soon as she noticed Catrin by the fireplace. "It is late and high time you were in bed!"

"I shall go to bed when I am finished with the story!" Catrin replied. "Hansel and Gretel just came up to the witch. I must get to the end or I shan't sleep all night."

"Miss Llewelyn, you have read that book from cover to cover at least six times. You know how the story is going to end. Why you are so fascinated with those foreign stories is beyond me. Are not the tales and legends of your homeland good enough? You hardly speak in your native tongue at all, preferring to read books in, what language is it?"

Catrin rolled her eyes. "It is German," she stated. "And Brothers Grimm are the new sensation. They've collected so many fairy tales into one book. You cannot blame me for loving it so much. If you could read the stories you would understand. It can't always be about Wales, Magwen. Every accomplished young lady must know the modern languages and German is one of them. The book is a perfect opportunity for me to practice."