Chapter 43. Putting Up a Fight.

Though she be but little, yet she is fierce.~ William Shakespeare.

Chapter 43.

Putting up a Fight.

Catrin had heard a lot of shouting, but didn't dare eavesdrop when she realized the Earl had also gone inside the room. He was a tall, intimidating man and Catrin was just a bit afraid of him. The shouting had moved to the kitchen, and the words 'murder' 'witch' and 'dragon' were clearly heard. When the drama seemed to have died down a bit, Catrin dared to slip down to the kitchen and to her horror she saw Argos lying in a motionless heap. Two servants were in the middle of dragging him out the kitchen door, but Catrin quickly ran and blocked the path.

"What is the meaning of this?" She demanded, falling down on her knees and running her hands through Argos' fur. "He's still warm!"

"Dog's dead, young Miss Llewelyn," one servant softly informed. "He only died a few moments ago, so yes, he is still warm. Wait a little and he'll go cold, cold as ice itself. Mrs. Llewelyn says to take him out and bury him."

"How...how did it die?" Catrin could feel tears spilling out of her eyes. Poor Beatrice! How was her dear stepsister taking this dreadful news?

The servants exchanged glances.

"It ain't for us to say, Miss Llewelyn. Please, let us through."

Catrin placed a kiss on the dog's nose and stood up. She was on her way to Beatrice when Amy stopped her.

"It ain't really dead, Miss Llewelyn," she whispered in a frightened tone. "Argos ain't really dead. I 'eard, I did, that the mistress was gonna poison 'im. I don't know why, I only she was and and I couldn't let it 'appen. I switched the poison I did. She poured it into a bowl of milk for them dog, and as I's always feed 'im she 'anded it to me. I knewed ahead of time, I did. I prepared another bowl, I stole 'er sleeping powder and put it instead. 'Es asleep, not dead. But no one knows it was me! And I's terrified wot will 'appen if they's to find out."

Catrin flung her arms around Amy. "Sweet, dear girl! How smart, how brave you are. Oh precious girl. Quick, we must hurry. They are about to bury Argos alive."

"But wot will the Missus say?"

"Place all the blame on me, Amy. We'll say that I switched the poison for the sleeping powder. I do hope the dose wasn't too strong, we don't know how that stuff affects dogs. But come, we must hurry."

With those words Catrin ran outside. "Stop!" She called to the servants. "Bring the dog back!"

They paused and looked at her. "The Missus said to dispose of it. We have to take it somewhere where we can..."

"I said," Catrin repeated, walking closer to them. "Bring the dog back! Take him to my room. Now."

"But the Missus."

Catrin set her lips in a firm line and glared at them. "Just. Do. It! If the 'missus' asks, tell them you were following my orders! That dog isn't dead, only sleeping."

The servants looked down in confusion.

"Well?"

With a shrug they began dragging the heavy dog back to the house and then up the stairs and then to Catrin's room. Her Majesty, the cat, glared at this action. What was that useless, and now seemingly lifeless, monster doing in her bedroom? What was the matter with her faithful subject? Why was she kneeling down to it? How dare she knee to a commoner!

Catrin was of course unaware of the betrayal her cat was going through. She knelt down, and detected that the dog was still breathing.

"I am no doctor," Catrin muttered to herself. "But the heart has got to be somewhere here." After some search, Catrin sighed with relief to discover Argos still had a heartbeat. She fetched some water and poured it over the dogs face.