Chapter 6. An Invitation to a Ball.

Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward. They may be beaten, but they may start a winning game. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Chapter 6.

An Invitation to a Ball.

Catrin and Beatrice sat in the drawing room, busy at a game of chess. Beatrice was thinking hard on how to get her king out of check when Mrs. Llewelyn came rushing in.

"My dearest Beatrice, you will never, ever guess what I am about to tell you!"

"Surprise me," Beatrice challenged in an uninterested way as she placed her rook in front of her king, even though she knew she would lose it to Catrin.

"George Errol, the Duke of Denster is hosting a large masquerade ball!"

"Oh, I am so surprised." The voice, so flat and bored, did not match the words spoken and caused Catrin to stifle her giggle. She promptly took Beatrice's rook with her queen, only to have Beatrice use her king to rob Catrin of the strongest figure on the board.

"That is not fair!" Catrin grumbled.

"All is fair in love and war," Beatrice replied with a triumphant laugh.

"Beatrice Morton did you hear what I said?" Mrs. Llewelyn was very upset that her daughter was ignoring her.

"Something about a ball," Beatrice answered, thinking hard on how to somehow trap Catrin's king.

"Beatrice, put that game to a halt and give me your attention!" Mrs. Llewelyn commanded. Catrin nudged Beatrice with her foot and Beatrice rolled her eyes before turning her face to her mother.

"I am listening.".

"The Duke of Denster is hosting a ball in honor of his son's birthday and we have been invited."

"And when is this ball?" Beatrice asked with a yawn. Catrin's eyes grew wistful. Of course when her stepmother had said 'we have been invited' it meant Beatrice and Mrs. Llewelyn were invited. No one even knew of poor little Catrin. How could they when she had never been presented to society?

"It will be held in four weeks time, on the 31st of May. And to think Denster Hall is a mere ten-twelve miles from here."

"But you are engaged, Mamma, so we cannot go." Beatrice concluded and turned her attention back to the chess board.

"I am engaged?" Mrs. Llewelyn asked in surprise.

"Of course you are. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are hosting a dinner party to which you have been invited."

"Oh, cribbage!" Mrs. Llewelyn frowned. "I had forgotten all about that. The Jones always have their dinner party in the end of May. But I think they will understand if I decline the invitation. We cannot miss this chance, Beatrice. Charles Errol, or Lord Woodworth as I ought to call him, is the heir to Denster Hall! When his father dies away he will inherited the title of Duke and if you are to marry him, you will become Duchess."

"Which is of course something I always wanted to become!" Beatrice flatly retorted "Mamma if you wish to go to the ball, you may. Who knows, perhaps His Lordship will take a fancy to you and make you his duchess."

"Beatrice!" Mrs. Llewelyn gasped at her daughter's disrespect.

"But I am not going to go and have you try and marry me to the Denster heir."

Mrs. Llewelyn glanced over at Catrin. "Catie, if you will excuse us," she commanded. Catrin nodded her head and rising from the table, left the room.