Chapter 9. Return to Reality.

The real world is where the monsters are ~ Rick Riordan

Chapter 9.

Return to Reality.

Beatrice was starting to get nervous. It was getting late, her mother would be home any minute, and Catrin and Mrs. Fairfax where still not in.

The slamming of the front door made Beatrice throw a shawl over her nightgown and hurry down stairs.

"Thank goodness!" she exclaimed when she saw Catrin and Mrs. Fairfax enter. "Hurry, hurry, we've got to get Catrin into her nightclothes before Mamma arrives." She grabbed her stepsister by the arm and dragged Catrin up the stairs to Beatrice's room.

Once inside Catrin hurriedly took the gloves off her hands while Beatrice undid the buttons and Amy pulled out the pins. Catrin was still stepping out of her dress when Beatrice already began pulling the nightgown over her head. Catrin bit her lip as Amy brushed her hair in a quick fashion, not bothering to be gentle about the knots. Amy then bound Catrin's hair into the customary night braid.

"Just run to your room, I'll handle the mess here," Beatrice said. With a grateful nod, Catrin slipped out and floated to her bedroom.

"Oh, Your Majesty," she dreamily said as she lifted the sleeping cat into her arms. "He had such a lovely voice, like the waves crashing on the shore. And the way he looked at me when we danced. How glad I am for that mask I had to wear, or my blush would have been so noticeable. He was the only partner I had tonight, but I could never have asked for a different one. Oh I wonder what he looks like, what his features are, what his name is."

Her Majesty glared at Catrin. "If you will put me down please," her eyes seemed to say. "You are interrupting my beauty sleep. I had a terrible evening, that horrible canine made my life perfectly miserable and Bea read some silly story filled with horrible monsters. Why did you leave her behind?"

A noise downstairs made Catrin place Her Majesty back in her royal bed and jump under the covers.

"I can't believe it worked," she whispered to herself. "Oh, thank you God for letting it work."

***

Mrs. Llewelyn was very tired. It had been a splendid dinner party and she had caught up on all the latest gossip, but it had of course worn her out and she was looking forward to a nice long rest. First things first, however. John, the butler, had informed her that Mrs. Fairfax and Beatrice had already returned. It was upsetting to know her daughter and left the ball so early. Mrs. Llewelyn was determined to speak to her daughter, reprimand her on her foolish behavior and discover how it went during the time Beatrice was there. She figured she could forgive Beatrice for departing early as long as she had stood up with Lord Woodworth and caught his attention.

Mrs. Llewelyn knocked on Beatrice's door but got no response. She tried the door, but like usual it was locked. Going over to Mrs. Fairfax's quarters she noticed the there was a light in the room and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Mrs. Fairfax's voice sounded on the other end.

"I hate to disturb you, Elinor," Mrs. Llewelyn said as she came in. "But I noticed the light and realized you were not asleep. John informed me you had only returned a few minutes before I did. Why so soon?"

Mrs. Fairfax silently braced herself for the attack and put on a tired smile. "Beatrice complained of a headache and we left early."

"She always complains of headaches, that is her sure ticket out of the ball." Mrs. Llewelyn fumed. "And if that doesn't work she faints. You ought to see her do it, it looks positively real. Why even I was taken in several times before I realized it was all a performance. You should not have bought her excuse."