Chapter 8. A Ball to Remember.

It was once said that to hide something from prying eyes you must place it where people can see it. ~ Micheal Rivers

Chapter 8.

A Ball to Remember.

Catrin sat nervously in the carriage, her little fingers fidgeting with the fan in her gloved hands.

"What if no one likes me?" She worried to Mrs. Fairfax. "What if someone finds out I am not Beatrice? What if I accidently give the fact away? You know I have a talent for babbling information I really shouldn't. Sometimes I just don't know how to keep this silly mouth of mine shut."

Mrs. Fairfax chuckle and gave Catrin's hand a little squeeze. "You'll do fine, Catie. Relax a little and enjoy yourself."

Catrin let out a sigh and tried her best to follow Mrs. Fairfax's advice. She glanced out the window and gave a gasp of wonder. They had ridden up to Denster Hall and the grand house came into full view. It was a spending building, built with columns and pillars, and large windows painted white. Soon the carriage had driven up to the entrance and a footman came up and opening the carriage helped Mrs. Fairfax and Catrin out. They walked up the white marble stairs and to the front doors, where they gave their invitations and were allowed inside the mansion.

Catrin had never seen a house so great in all her life. The rooms were large and spacious; the grandest of all of them being of course the majestic ballroom. It was illuminated with many candles and lamps and chairs and paintings lining the wall. In the darkness of the night, the ballroom shone like a bright star.

By the time Mrs. Fairfax and Catrin had arrived the place was already quite full with other guests. Everyone dressed up in costume with masks hiding their faces. It truly felt like something out of a fairy tale and Catrin tried very hard to keep her excitement inside. Beatrice had warned about how too much excitement would give away the fact that this was her first ball.

"Remember, Catrin dear," Mrs. Fairfax whispered to her. "At half past eleven you will meet me at the entrance. I will already have the carriage waiting."

"I will remember," Catrin smiled. "And thank you so much, Mrs. Fairfax, for agreeing to Bea's scheme."

"I was glad to help. Now come, we will sit over there until someone asks you to dance."

Catrin walked with Mrs. Fairfax, her blue eyes peering from behind her mask wondering which of the many gentlemen would ask her to dance first.

They sat down on the seats and Catrin watched as the dancers kept their steps in time to the music in the hall. She hoped someone would ask her to dance, but as the evening wore on she still sat with Mrs. Fairfax in the corner.

It was hard for the poor girl to sit and be so overlooked. But this was not surprising as there was a great host of girls, more than the gentlemen, and it was clear there were just not enough partners.

The minutes kept ticking and soon the downhearted Catrin couldn't take anymore. This first ball wasn't turning to be so fun. Perhaps she should be more bold and outgoing, but how was she to do that? Simple walk up to them and start talking? Catrin didn't know which of the folk were acquainted with Beatrice, and it wasn't proper to come up to someone you did not know and just begin talking. Bea had somehow forgotten to say who she knew and who she didn't. What was more Catrin also knew some of the people in the community and she had to steer clear of them in order to keep from being recognized. And with everyone in masks it was impossible to know who to approach and who to avoid. Mrs. Fairfax was completely new to the community and could not give her much help.