Chapter 35. Catrin Dares.

The bravest are the most tender; the loving are the daring. ~ Bayard Taylor.

Chapter 35.

Catrin Dares.

There was reason Beatrice nicknamed her mother 'the dragon', when Mrs. Llewelyn got angry you could almost feel the smoke coming out of her nostrils, and when she opened her mouth you just waited for fire to come flaming out of it.

And though the fire was always in the form of words, it burned just as hard.

"Insulent, stupid, foolish girl!" She snapped at Catrin. "How dare you? How dare you turn him down? How dare you let him go into that carriage? Don't you realize how long a journey he made, and you had him do it ALL IN VAIN!!!"

Catrin took a step back. She had often seen Mamma angry, but that anger and the volley of words, had always been directed to Beatrice. It was the first time she was taking the blow upon herself, and it was impossible to blame her for being a little frightened. Mrs. Llewelyn was a tall woman, who towered over Catrin in fury.

"But Mamma," Catrin stammered out. "How could I marry a man I hardly know?"

"It is dreadfully easy, Catrin!" Mrs. Llewelyn stated. "Hundreds of girls do it and are none the worse for it. Mr. Grinlow is of very good family and he has a good position as a barrister. He's not like those other younger sons who run off and spend money and get into trouble. You could do so much worse. He is honest and respectable and would make a captial husband. And your manor and money along with his brains would make the perfect home and life for you! How could you have the nerve to turn him out? Did I not tell you to be a good girl?"

Despite her fear, Catrin scowled. "Wait a moment, Mamma, you knew he was coming here to offer marriage?"

"Well of course I knew, I am your stepmother, it is my job to know these things. At long last I found you a good and proper husband and this is how you thank me? Beatrice is the naughty one, I had hoped you would turn out better. HOW COULD YOU?"

"Mamma, I do not love the man!" Catrin felt rather indignent that her stepmother should have arranged the marriage behind her back. "I could never bind myself forever to someone I do not love."

"Here is another fact for you, young lady, binding yourself to a man you do not love is what girls have done for centuries before you. That love you read about in your fairytales, it is as fake as the magic that makes it all happin. Have you never studied history? Right from the start girls have been married off for convenience, not for love. Girls with no money marry to get it, girls with money marry to keep it. You are looking for security, not love. Mr. Grinlow will keep you safe, that is your main focus. Comfortable life and a good name in society. You can look for love in other places, if you are so desperate for it!"

Catrin's face turned hard. "Mamma, I do not know about you, but I do not believe in adultery. It goes against everything that I stand for. Please, do not speak about it in my presence."

Mrs. Llewelyn inhaled deeply. "Who are you to say such things, little Cadie?"

Catrin's eyes met that of her mother's and she took a deep breath. "I am the owner of this manor, Mamma. In two years time I shall be rightful and legal owner. Do not give me reason to want to throw you out once it is truly mine."

There was a stunned pause. Catrin's heart beat against her chest, but she held her stepmother's gaze. It was the first time in her life that she had so stood up to her stepmother, the first time she had dared to threaten her. In fact, it was perhaps the first time anyone had ever dared to threaten Mariah Llewelyn. This was evident by the look of stunned shock on Mrs. Llewelyn's face.