Chapter 54. Some Loose Ends.

I care not for your envy, or your hypocrisy, or even for your human nature. ~ James Fenimore Cooper.

Chapter 54.

Some Loose Ends.

Ever since his son had abondoned him, George Errol spent his days brooding in his large and empty mansion. He never spent much time here in his youth, preferring the exciting and interesting sites of London. Now his son spent his time in London and George was here, with no one but the servants.

"Charles must have gotten lonely as a child," he mused. George had always considered himself to be a wonderful father, giving his son everything he needed. "Except for your time," he suddenly pointed out to himself. "You never gave Charles any of your time."

"Excuse me, Your Grace," a servant called out. "A Miss Morton is here, requesting an audience with you. I told her you would not care, but she is very insistant."

George sat up straight in his seat. "Miss Morton? Miss Beatrice Morton?"

"The very same, sir."

This was an unexpected twist of fate. Miss Morton had not been heard from for far too long. Maybe she regretted refusing his son. It was too late now, Charles would never go back on his word to Miss Llewelyn. Still, he might as well discover what madness brought the prodigal daughter to his doorstep.

"Send her in, Mansley."

The servant bowed and departed. George rose from his chair and waited. In a matter of moments Beatrice was shown in. She gave a low bow to the Duke.

"Miss Morton, please, have a seat. This is quite a surprise."

"So it is, Your Grace. No doubt you are wondering what brings me to your doorstep. I have come to invite you to my wedding."

A choked cough escaped from George. "Wedding?" He sputtered out. "Why me?"

"Well, you are the uncle of my husband to be." Beatrice laughed at the confusion and bewilderment written all over the poor Duke. "Perhaps you should be seated as well, Your Grace. I am to marry your nephew, Elwyn Blethyn, Earl of Llys Gwyn."

This was truly too much for the old Duke and he sank into a chair. "Elwyn? You are marrying Elwyn?"

"Just so. Our courtship was one of a rather secret nature, no one knew but us two, and my stepsister."

"You prefered Elwyn to Charles?"

Here a soft smile came to Beatrice. "Your Grace, I know not what my mother has said to you concerning my stepsister, Catrin Llewelyn, but I assure you it is not true. My mother has long despised my stepsister because she is heiress to a great manor. I have only the dowry that my generous uncle wanted to bestow on me, as well as one hundred a year from my decseased father, God rest his soul. Wanting to secure a life of ease and comfort, Mamma took me out into society at the tender age of fifteen, while Catrin was locked away at the manor. She said it was because of her health, but this was a lie. Catrin only got out when I snuck her away to London to my godmother. There is nothing wrong with my stepsister. If you do not believe that my mother hates her for no good reason, come to our home at the manor. Catrin is still recovering from my mother's attempt to take her life. She was slowly poisoning her. Ask Raj, he heard Mamma confess with her own lips that she hates her stepdaughter and wants the manor, especially now that I have left her."

George was trying to comprehend everything being thrown at him. It took many questions and detailed answers from Beatrice for him to at last lower his head in defeat.

"I will confess, Miss Morton, your mother told me that Miss Llewelyn would never bear children. As a man with only one son and my family name dying out, it was more than I could put up with. I never cared whom my son married as long as the woman could give me a grandson, someone to keep the family name alive."