Chapter 25. Cinderellas Come with Stepmothers.

She knows herself to be at the mercy of events, and she knows by now that events have no mercy. ~ Margret Atwood.

Chapter 25.

Cinderellas Come with Stepmothers.

Charles had recongized Catrin the moment his eyes fell upon her.

"What is she doing in London?" He thought. He couldn't keep the smile from coming to his lips at the sight of her. She was pretty in her pale yellow gown. It brought out the lovely golden brown of her hair, most of which was covered with a delicate bonnet, though this time not red in color. She seemed lost in a world of her own and stood to the side, sipping from a glass thoughtfully.

"Excuse me, Father," Charles said and hurried over to where his Cinderella was. He failed to notice the intense, bitter stare her stepmother was giving him.

"Miss Llewelyn," he addressed her. "What a surprise to find you in London!"

Catrin lifted her eyes and blushed deeply from his words. She hated herself for this action. Why was she always blushing when he looked at her?

"A good surprise, I do hope, Lord Woodworth," she stammered out.

Charles' smile broadened. "A good one indeed. But where is your stepsister? I should be shocked to discover you are in London and she has remained in Wales."

Catrin giggled. "Then prepare to be shocked, Lord Woodworth, for I am here and Beatrice has remained in Wales."

He had only been joking when he said that and to have Catrin confirm his words left Charles speechless for a few seconds.

"My stepsister has taken ill, and was obliged to remain at Derwen Goch by doctor's orders until she is stronger," Catrin explained.

Charles narrowed his eyes a little, his smile growing playful. "If I didn't know better, Miss Llewelyn, I would say Miss Morton gave your mother the slip. I think she made it quite clear the first time I met her how she hates anything that has to do with society and I wouldn't be surprised to discover she faked her illness if only to keep from coming here."

Catrin could not believe the impertenance of the man. "It would seem you know my stepsister better than I do, Lord Woodworth!" She stated, a little crossly at that.

"Hardly," he replied, ignoring the tone of her voice. "But can you tell me I am wrong?"

Catrin sighed. "No, I cannot. But I beg of you, do not tell Mamma."

Charles laughed here. "I have kept the secret about you and the ball, did I not? I can keep this one just as well. It would seem Beatrice has quite the mind to play scams on honest folk."

"It is a habit of hers," Catrin half agreed. "I wonder that you did not meet her before. She has been in society for so long. Five years."

"Ah, but I have been living abroad and studying in Oxford for well over five years."

Catrin's eyes grew wistful. "Did you enjoy the time you were abroad, your lordship?"

Charles thought for a moment before answering. "Moderetly," he said at last. "Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if someone had been traveling with me."

"Oh, I am sorry you were lonely," Catrin gave him a smile of sympathy. "I know what it means to be alone. Mamma and Beatrice are often away either to London or Bath and I was left on the manor, unable to accompany them because of my poor health."

Charles liked that smile. It was sweet and innocent, and full of genuine sympathy. No one had ever given him a smile like that before. Everything about his Cinderella that had so struck him at his birthday ball now came flooding back to him. There really wasn't any other girl like her in all of society.