Chapter 11. To Risk and Dare.

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. ― Seneca

Chapter 11.

To Risk and Dare.

It was five days into her stay at Bath, and much as Beatrice hated to admit it, she was enjoying this visit. If only her mother wouldn't keep winking and nudging her. But Lord Woodworth was not as much of a stick in the mud as she had supposed. He was interested in conversing with her, and they had spoken of a great many subjects. They also discovered they were equals when it came to chess, and had each lost and won an equal amount of games.

Charles was educated, having studied and traveled abroad. He shared his experiences with Beatrice, listening to her in return. Beatrice often caught herself with the thought that if her mother really knew what the two of them were talking about she might have thrown a fit. For Mrs. Llewelyn did not approve of Beatrice's interest in politics and philosophy and would have been mortified to hear her debating with Lord Woodworth on various opinions and views. As it was, when in company, Charles and Beatrice kept their conversations to the weather and local gossip. But when walking or playing chess, they spoke of things that were more interesting.

So it was with great surprise Beatrice came with her mother to yet another concert, they were met by only the Duke.

"Is Lord Woodworth not well?" Mrs. Llewelyn inquired.

"He is well, thank you," the old Duke smiled. "But some urgent business has called him back to Wales and he will most likely be gone for some time."

"What a pity," Mrs. Llewelyn sighed. "Business can be so tedious at times."

"I should say," the Duke chuckled. "He did pass on his regards to you, Miss Morton."

Beatrice smiled and secretly hoped that since Lord Woodworth was gone from Bath, her mother would decide to leave as well. There was so much she wished to tell Catrin and somehow a letter wasn't good enough.

***

Bad luck seemed to be haunting Charles, and he didn't know how to handle it. Just when things started getting good for him something had to happen to completely ruin it. Charles was a man who always had everything under control, and this new inability to keep up with recent events was driving him mad. First his Cinderella had run off and he didn't know where to find her, and now just when he was starting to enjoy Miss Morton's company, Elwyn had to decide to start pulling his old tricks again. Tricks that made Charles uproot himself from his comfy time in Bath and return to Wales and to Llys Gwyn.

Thanks to this he was in a terrible mood when he arrived at the castle. Marching up the stairs he burst into the tiny room where his cousin spent his days.

"Seriously, when will you understand that suicide is the greatest of all sins?" He shouted at Elwyn. "Why must I constantly be uprooted and dragged out here because of your selfishness and self pity!"

"There is no need to shout," Elywn reprimanded in his monotonous voice. "I never asked you to come here."

"Indeed, you did not. Raj wrote and begged me to come. Elwyn, you can't do this, you can't keep trying to kill yourself!"

"Let's hear you say that when you have ended up like I have," Elwyn retorted.

"You are the Earl of Llys Gwyn, you cannot behave like this! It is irresponsible and childish! What will happen to your lands if you die? Remember you were your father's only son."