Chapter 33. Changing Things.

Sometimes the world around you makes you do things you would never do out of the circumstances. ~ Haidji.

Chapter 33.

Changing Things.

Despite the fact that Iestyn had allowed Charles to court Beatrice for now, he still made himself a regular caller at their home to make sure things didn't go too far and to keep an eye on the lady he had marked for himself. He could tell Beatrice prefered his company, and they spend many an hour discussing politics. It was all about Napoleon now and if he would try and take over France again and what would happen if he did.

Charles was secretly happy that his uncle could keep Beatrice entertained, that left his attentions towards Catrin. It was a tricky buisness, pretending to court Beatrice and really court Catrin. Especially when that mother was around. Not to mention the watchful eyes of his father were often gazing on the young lord as well.

"I think I know how a goldfish feels," Charles grumbled to himself. "Why must the two of them gawk at me so."

As for Elwyn, he was blissfully unaware of all the quiet drama going on at the Llewelyn house. Beatrice would come over to the castle at least three, sometimes four times a week. If the weather permitted they would sit outside while on a wet day they found shelter in the gazeebo, or some other structure of the castle. If it was a very miserable day they would remain in the tower.

Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table never were more popular than with the young Earl and his faithful reader. The lessons of chess continued as well and much of what Beatrice spoke of with Iestyn she would discuss later with Elwyn.

One crisp autumn day, when there were hardly any leaves left on the trees, but the sun shown brightly, Beatrice noticed Elwyn was rather quiet.

"You're not much of a talker today, Captian," she pointed out.

Elwyn bit his lip. Should he really tell her what had been on his mind for a long, long time now? As long as he presented it correctly it would be safe. "I was just wonder, Miss Morton," he found himself confessing. "If we had met in society, would it have been very different."

Beatrice tossed her head a bit. "No doubt it would have been. Were you always this closed off?"

The far away look in Elwyn's eyes told Beatrice everything.

"I suppose not," she laughed. "No doubt you were one of those rogue, dashing officers. The sort that take off with women's hearts in a single beat."

A soft laugh escaped from Elwyn. "Are you accusing me of being a womanizer?"

"Are you telling me you were not?" Was Beatrice coy response.

Elwyn let out a sigh as he thought back to the days when he was handsome and popular and had everything a man could want. "I had my day," was all he said.

Beatrice was quiet for a few minutes. "I would have snubbed you," she stated at last. "I never had much stomach for womanizers. I fear if we would have met in society it would have been doomed right from the start."

Elwyn gave an absent nod, but found he couldn't completely agree with her. Surely he could have somehow won her heart if he had been the man he was. Surely he could have charmed her, made her fall in love with him. But that was not meant to be.

Beatrice in the mean time, had a question of her own. She didn't know if it was a good idea to voice it, but decided to give it a try. They were good friends by now, surely he wouldn't take it too offensively. "Was it...was it a fire?"

Elwyn knew she was refering to the reason why he wore a mask over the left side of his face and a glove of his left hand. To think it had taken her several months to finally try to seek out the reason behind it. His features hardened and he took a sharp breath.