Chapter 20. A Lord, an Earl, And an Officer.

Pensive they sit, and roll their languid eyes. ~ John Keats.

Chapter 20.

A Lord, an Earl, And an Officer.

The surprise that greeted Charles when he walked up to the lonely tower of his cousin was the sight of the open window and the fresh breeze blowing through and getting rid of the horrible stale air that usually made up the breathing space of the room.

Besides this, however, the picture was not very inviting. Elwyn sat in his chair staring off into nowhere and Uncle Isetyn leaned against the wall with a bored, annoyed expression on his face. Like always he gave the impression of the cool, composed officer he was. The dark hair was neatly combed back, the uniform clean and pressed. For his forty years Iestyn Blethyn was remarkably well preserved, considering he had spend most of his grown years as a man of war. He had glanced up when Charles entered and his dark brown eyes registered surprise.

"Charles," he said in his deep, rich voice. "Back so soon? Raj mentioned how you had gone to court ladies and I was sure we would not see you before sundown."

Charles gave a small chuckle. "The mother showed up and it all got very boring."

Iestyn smiled. "Mothers often bring that effect, don't they?"

"Indeed," Charles agreed with his uncle. "I left as soon as politness allowed. I did catch Miss Morton, however, on my way out. You know, she never struck me as being a forgetful young lady when I first met her, but ever since then it's been one mix-up after another. I do declare, women are the strangest of all creatures."

"And the most dangerous," Iestyn added with a laugh.

"How is your mother, Uncle Iestyn?" Charles was determined to get the worst part of the conversation done and over with so he could move on to more interesting matters.

A deep frown set into Iestyn's face. "She is doing very poorly. Her health this winter was delicate and she is still recovering. I was gone for a long time and it was hard for her to be alone."

"You should have told us, Father would have certainly called. He has nothing better to do with his time anyway. When she is better be sure to inform my father and he will invite her to Denster Hall. I think she would enjoy it there for a few weeks."

"I'll inform her of your invitation." A slight smile appeared on Iestyn's face. He cast a glance at Elwyn, who as usual was not participating in the conversation and was staring off into nothing. The officer compared his two nephews and as usual found it hard to believe that they were even remotely related. No two men could not be more different from each other, both in apperance and behavior.

"I almost wonder if he has forgotten how to speak." Iestyn said at last, nodding towards Elwyn. "I came in here and he hardly said two words together to me. You might have contributed something to the conversation, my boy. I do remember a time, Elwyn, when court women was all you ever did, and my how you loved to talk about it, but now...now? Silence."

Elwyn's deep green eyes flashed with anger. "Let's see how you'll behave when you've been scarred for life, Uncle!"

"Speaking of you, Elwyn," Charles hurried to the rescue. "I have just come from the house of Miss Llewelyn and I have heard a great deal of interesting tales about you, oh Earl of Llys Gwyn."

"Tales?" Iestyn lifted his eyebrow.

Charles laughed and took a seat. "It would seem your nephew, Uncle, has made a pact with the devil. In return for immortal life, Elwyn has taken a vow never to show himself to any mortal on this earth. What is more, he must drink the blood of beautiful virgins to retain his good looks. Apparently he keeps many locked up in his dungeon, that is why it is unsafe for any fair maiden to come out here."