Chapter 29. Competition Thrown In.

Opportunity doesn't make appointments, you have to be ready when it arrives. ~ Tim Fargo

Chapter 29.

Competition Thrown In.

He'd remembered her the moment he had laid eyes on her. It was impossible to forget a face as pretty as that of Miss Morton. That day at the castle she had only been a girl who had been prowling around in places she really shouldn't, but today was different. Today Iestyn met her for who she really was, and that was a lovely and extremely smart woman. He had not been ashamed to introduce her to Wellington, and when,upon departing, he had told her that it had been his loss not to have made her acquaintance earlier, Iestyn had meant every word.

"Now that is a lady who would do the name of Blethyn justice," he thought as he stood staring out his window, watching the busy, London street.

Iestyn had been a great womanizer in his day, even better than his nephew Elwyn, but he had never bothered to settle down.

"For a simple reason," he chuckled to himself. "A lady is good enough to look at, but to be stuck with her for a long time, it has to be a grand woman indeed! And I think at last I've finally chanced upon her. Not only does she have the looks, but a quick wit and a bright mind. I would never be dull with her at home, and I would never get bored while in society. I have been told she is quite a handful, not to mention a flirt and a jilt. But," here Iestyn chuckled, "you've been in the army most of your life, Colonel Blethun, and you know how to teach discipline. I will make no decision or move, but I will get to know her better."

This thought caused a smile to spread across his face, a smile that even a twenty year age difference could not hinder. A man must settle down after all, and he must settle down only with the best London society had to offer. Not to mention her thirty thousand pound dowry would not get in the way. For once he had found beauty and money, it was hard to find the two together in a young woman, and he was not going to let it slip away.

***

His father was troubled, Charles could tell by the way he picked at his chin as though he had a beard.

"What could be troubling him now?" Charles groaned to himself as he pretended to be engrossed in his book. "Ten to one it is that whole marriage deal. Give me some time, old man, I think I'm finally on to something, but I don't need you to get into the way! You might scare the girl, she is very fidgety."

"Charles."

Charles lifted his head. "Yes, Father?"

"You didn't dance with Miss Morton at the ball last night."

"No," Charles agreed. "I did not. Probably because Uncle Iestyn monopolized her. They went over to meet the Duke of Wellington and she got stuck there. It was some deep conversation, no doubt about the campaign against Napoleon, it is really all Wellington can talk about these days. And then all those old gentlemen and officers had a dance with her. I really did not fit in with that crowd."

"Iestyn and his officers," George growled. "Doesn't he realize he's distracting the woman from a very important task?"

Charles laughed. "There is more for a young lady to do than try and catch a husband, Father. If Miss Morton enjoyed herself then I am glad. She has quite a mind for politics, but it is not often can she find someone to discuss them with."

"That is beside the point," George snapped.

Charles raised his eyebrows. What was up with his father's temper today? Who had put the good natured duke in such a fowl mood.

"Charles, I am disappointed in you." George continued. "I thought you liked the girl."

"Well enough," Charles agreed.